Question about 「賑やか」

I’m going through JLPT-recommended common word lists level by level to catch up on vocab that aren’t taught in wanikani. sometimes they’re words that are almost always written in kana (which Jisho usually notes), often with an obsolete kanji form that isn’t in the Joyo list. but this is the first time i’ve encountered a word listed as “N5” that has a kanji not covered by Joyo, Wanikani, or Kanjidamage, and doesn’t have a Jisho note about the kanji being obsolete and the word generally being kana-only.

which of the following is true?
a) the dictionary is missing a note and it is usually a kana word
b) it’s just a rare word that’s bizarrely listed as being N5 in Jisho
c) the Jinmeiyo kanji actually get regularly used outside of names?
d) something else??? multiple ones of these?

3 Likes

It’s a very common word, but I think I usually see it in just kana. This Japanese dictionary entry has an x next to the kanji, so I’d guess that’s the dictionary’s way of saying it’s usually written in kana.

4 Likes

Agreeing with seanblue but just to add on, I have also seen this word in kanji with no furigana quite a few times, so it is not extremely rare, I think.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the goo dictionary entry comes from 大辞泉. the small x before the kanji just means it is not Joyo… which I guess is roughly equivalent to “usually written in kana alone”

2 Likes

Yeah, I have seen it written with kanji as well. There are plenty of “usually kana” words that I’ve seen written with kanji, so I think it largely depends on the author/book.

I need a guide for what all those symbols mean…

1 Like

I found the manual. So now it’s confirmed that it is 大辞泉

It is quite lengthy. The part about the small + is in this section

oh, interesting! is it generally the case that for non-Joyo kanji there’s furigana, even if it’s not a children’s text?

1 Like

I’m not the turtle you asked, but based on the 12 or so books I’ve read, they’re a bit more likely to have furigana, but they still often don’t (especially in sf/fantasy)

(12 books obviously isn’t that much though, so I’m not necessarily saying my experiences are completely representative)

4 Likes

Another factor beyond genre is simply the publisher and author. ご注文はうさぎですか isn’t sci-fi or fantasy or any other genre you’d “expect” to use complex words or kanji, but it uses a ton of non-jouyou kanji without furigana.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.