Proxy items at CD Japan

I ended up just ordering from the other site that was mentioned in this topic. So much easier to just buy from a site with items listed instead of having to go back and forth on it via email. Might cost a bit more, but I’m fine with that for the convenience. Hopefully the quality is good.

5 Likes

Hope it goes well - I think the proxy service(s) is/are best suited for items you can’t get elswehere, where the hassle is worth it since there is no alternative OR it’s the cheapest way and the savings are worth the faff.

3 Likes

Huh, I hadn’t heard of this site before, and dang they have lots of older Prince of Tennis CDs that aren’t available on Amazon.jp anymore. If I can’t find the physical CDs during my trip to Japan in the spring, I’ll probably be spending a pretty penny here after, haha. Thank you for the heads up!

2 Likes

Have you tried BOOKOFF Online already? They have a lot of old media too

2 Likes

Amazon.co.jp also has user-made stores and sells used books. It was how I purchased a set of light novels myself back in the day… And the entire set was used. Back then, the whole set counted as 1 book, so it was very nice, low-cost shipping… only 300 yen for all eleven volumes (of shipping fees). However since then, for at least a few years after I made that purchase, that is no longer the case, and each book counts as a book, adding it’s own fee to the subtotal. Still, you can chose “prime only” and then even with the used books, Amazon will make sure the delivery is fulfilled for you, same as in the States (and Canada). There are different qualities of “used” on Amazon, and I think mine was only “Good” and was essentially in mint condition. They also qualify things as Excellent, which would be one step better (perhaps actually mint, still-in-original packaging but sat on their shelf for a while?). If you search Sirvorn and Amazon/buying books in Japanese, you will come across a great thread or number of posts with good (though perhaps now outdated?) advice.

Since it’s been 11 days since your OP, did you go ahead with the purchase from CD Japan, Sean?

1 Like

Wow. Over $50 of fees. That sounds like murder.

O.o

Ooh no, they sadly don’t have many TeniPuri things but they do have a complete Sket Dance manga set so I might be getting that instead of from Amazon.jp haha

1 Like

Ah, that’s a bummer. I thought Prince of Tennis would have been popular enough. BOOKOFF requires a proxy I believe, so amazon will probably be cheaper

Those never sell to the US unfortunately.

you mis read… fees for shipping are what they are…the only proxy fees would be the service fees associated with proxy stuff…don’t know what they are but don’t be mislead and add incorrectly
1452+500+300= rounded about 2800 yen… so in USD only about 20-25 USD depending on the exchange rate…

Shipping costs are gonna be there no matter what…
Point is…if it’s something you want and proxy is the only way to get it or an easy way …20 bucks is probably not going to be a deal breaker for most people…

but again that’s older numbers as I mentioned…don’t know what it currently costs as they have probably changed the whole pricing structure…

so it’s not murder you are paying for someone else to obtain, buy and then get it to you…you aren’t buying directly from CDjapan… it’s proxy via CDJapan…with the bonus of awesome CDJapan packing :wink:

1 Like

Ah, well… that sucks. I was able to get them to Canada. How unfortunate for my neighbours to the South.

Oh, it seems I did. I put the decimal point after 145… as if you’d spent 145.20 USD before fees. Rather than 1452 yen.

Oof.

Still though, even though it’s much better in yen… that is like 4, 5, or 6 separate fees they’re tossing on there at once, rather than a flat “international shipping” fee, or something. But no matter. What’s done is done, and it’s your money, not mine. So…

What a relief though that it was maybe only 8 dollars of fees. (500 yen + 300 yen = 800 yen = approx. $8 CDN, last I checked.)

My order from Manga Republic just arrived. Overall I’m satisfied with the quality.

• The packaging was really well secured. Lots of bubble wrap and tight packaging to avoid damage during the shipping process.
  • Bocchi the Rock volume 5 came in perfect condition as one would expect since it’s new (unlike the rest of what I bought which was used).
  • Hakoiri Drops volume 1-6 are in overall really good condition. Slight bends in some of the covers, but nothing egregious. Not much worse than I get half the time buying new if I’m being honest. Volumes 4-6 even came with their obi intact.
  • Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku is in good condition.
  • Aoi Hana volume 1 is in passable condition, with a few bent pages and moderate discoloration from age. I’m not sure when they last printed this volume, but the one I got was apparently printed in 2006, the same year it was released. That’s unfortunate since the pages are fairly discolored as tends to happen with older books. Shame I couldn’t get lucky and get a copy printed ~5 years ago instead of 17 year ago. :laughing: Since I ordered the remaining 7 volumes new from CD Japan (to arrive in 2-3 weeks) I’ll still look out for a reprint of volume 1 to complete the collection in nicer quality if possible.
5 Likes