Prompts for entire sentences instead of individual words

Hey guys,

So I’ve reached a stage where I can recognize the Japanese grammatical structures not too bad. For example, when I have tutoring sessions online on italki (conversations), I can often understand what my tutors are telling me (or at least the gist). Or when I’m reading sentences, I can process the meaning without too much trouble.

In other words, my Japanese to English processing is ok.

However, my English to Japanese conversion not so much. For instance, although I understand my tutors, I have difficulty stringing together sentences to reply to them.

So basically, I can recognize grammatical structures, syntax, and expressions, but at this point have significantly more difficulty recalling these things.

I feel that the best way to address this is to memorize and engrave in my mind a ton of sample sentences describing various ideas. In doing so, I believe creating my own sentences would be reduced to forming sentences that are analogous to those in the repertoire of sample sentences I would have learned.

I feel that Wanikani has a whole bunch of very interesting sample sentences.

So my question to you guys is if you know of a script or something that will cue me on entire sentences? So like instead of having prompts for kanji and individual vocabulary words, I would want a prompt asking me to translate entire sentences from English to Japanese (the sentences that Wanikani uses to illustrate how to properly use the vocab).

Any idea on how I could do this?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm, I would think that you’d have to make your own Anki decks or something for this. WK’s focus is Japanese to English, not the other way around. Though I guess that doesn’t mean it’s not possible for someone to make a script for it, though I know nothing about how to make scripts. Heck, once I get to that point I’d probably try it out if someone did create such a script.

I made this script to show the Japanese sentences during reviews
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/26868-wanikani-context-sentences-in-reviews

It might be possible for someone to modify it to ask English sentences. But Wanikani’s context sentences do not use an i+1 progression, meaning lower level sentences use higher level kanji and vocab (and even some that are not taught by WK), so I don’t know how well that would work.

2 Likes

Hi! It looks great. In the screenshot on your greasyfork page, you mention that it is another userscript that changes “Vocabulary Reading” to ”読み”. I have searched for hours for some userscript that can do this change with no luck… any luck you remember and could link to which userscript does it?

Oh man, I couldn’t find it again either. Luckily, I made a backup of the WankiKani userscripts I used 3 years ago and found it in my archive: WK Custom Review Question (KunOn+)

(It’s name uses ‘WK’ instead of ‘WaniKani’ so no wonder it was hard to find!)

Wow! Clutch save. And huge help. Will definitely be installing it!

Thanks a ton!