[POLL] Furigana for Locked Kanji/Vocab in Context Sentences

Most of us understand by now all the arguments with respect to not having furigana on a site that is designed to teach Kanji.

So here we are specifically polling for furigana for all the Kanji/Vocab that has not yet been taught by WaniKani, i.e locked content

@koichi, @viet

• Furigana on Locked Content (YES)
  • Furigana on Locked Content (NO)

0 voters

2 Likes

Like having 山 instead of ふじ山 in the vocabulary when you only learned 山 ?

I like it.

3 Likes

Yeah furigana for kanji we don’t know yet would be great. Maybe it’ll be considered after we get 3 context sentences for each vocab.

Then, after thinking a bit about it…
I would like that, but I know already several kanji, and it feels strange to me all those almost kana-only examples.

However, I can understand how a new learner can be distracted or intimidated if too much unknown kanji appear right from the beginning.

So, if it is ever implemented, it should be a switchable option.

Maybe even using a numeric variable, to tell how much future levels should be considered to be shown with kanji+furigana.
It could be:

• 0 : as now, no “unlocked” kanji shown at all
  • 1 : unlocked ones from the next level appearing with furigana
  • 2 : from the next and the one after
  • 3 : from the next 3 levels…
    and so on.

So, people liking to use that could get some passive exposure of future kanji.

1 Like

I think Bunpro handles this really nicely. It has the option of only displaying the furigana for a kanji if you click on it.

3 Likes

I’d rather have audio recording than furigana

6 Likes

Audio recording would be great but if you compare the complexity and cost, adding furigana is clearly within reach. I use a browser extension to look up vocab on hover but that’s only on a desktop. For doing lessons on mobile it’d be useful to have furigna natively. And there should be on option to hide/disable it as well.

3 Likes

Yes, and by default when used with the WK API Bunpro only shows furigana for unlocked content similar to what is being polled for here; in fact I actually had Bunpro in mind as I created this poll.

2 Likes

This request for audio recordings addresses a different issue (listening skills) and distracts from the feature request being made here for everyone (reading skills)

2 Likes

If I remember correctly the context sentences only recently—like 6-12 months ago—went through a rewrite to make it so they didn’t use kanji that wasn’t at your level yet, as this was something people had been complaining about for a while.

Though I think ultimately it’s hard to make natural sounding sentences that only use the vocabulary in the first few levels, hence:

We have a plan that will replace the context sentences with something more useful down the line. It should solve this issue quite well while giving you a bit more utility. It’s a ways out, but in the meantime doing something with context sentences would just delay it, so please put up with them for now :pray:

30 Likes

He speaks!

He hath maketh an appearance!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking notice and for your reply @koichi
The poll results are conclusive I think you’ll agree; so having a solution sooner rather than later is definitely being called for by your users here.

What browser extension do you use for vocab?

Rikaichamp on Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rikaichamp/

There are similar extensions for Chrome.

Far superior because it uses real voice.

1 Like

Currently (200508):

89% are positively for Furigana on Locked Content (YES)

That’s over 8 to 1 wanting this now already.
@koichi @viet take note (please).

I think they have

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.