Peppa pig in Japanese

At what level in Wanikani or JLPT one will be able to understand at least half of Peppa Pig cartoon?

3 Likes

You know, that would probably be a great thing to start watching as a beginner…

7 Likes

The same JLPT and Wanikani level most 2 year old Japanese are.

6 Likes

Listening comes more from practice than from studying non-listening stuff! By all means, knowing words and grammar helps, but you’ll actually pick a lot of that up by continuously practicing listening. I think you could be at an incredibly high wani kani level, read loads of books in Japanese, and still start listening to Peppa pig and really struggle. If you want to learn to hear and understand Japanese… practice hearing and understanding Japanese. Start with something simple :smiley:
Japanese subtitles can be a great way to bridge the gap if you’re already somewhat reading capable. Just don’t forget to ditch them eventually if you really want to work on your listening.

7 Likes

Exactly. You should definitely start if you want to try. WaniKani and JLPT might be good for learning but listening only gets better by doing more listening.

1 Like

I’ve been studying Japanese for around a month now (WaniKani and LingoDeer, so I know some really basic stuff but my knowledge is still really limited). Do you think doing some basic listening practice would be good at this point or should I learn at least a little more?

The best time is now. Even if you can comprehend it, repetition and continued exposure will help your brain get used to the sounds and maybe learn some basic phrases in the process.

2 Likes

Hi, Just out of curiosity, where are you watching the Japanese version of Peppa Pig? I’ve got it on foxtel…but I’m pretty sure it’s only in English.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s reassuring! I think there’s something about “jumping in” that feels scary, but you’re right that gradual exposure is the way to eventually learn!

I like JapPeppa’s channel on You Tube, because they put Japanese and English subtitles and write vocabulary over on the right hand side.

Here is the Kaimono Shopping episode

I only started watching it this year, at almost 3 years of studying Japanese. I can understand a lot of it now.

But I agree with the others who say it’s never too early to start. I occasionally study every sentence of something that I like (so I can learn that vocabulary) and rewatching episodes until they “click into focus.”

I’m still doing this with the Harry Potter audiobook (I’m on my second year of this). I’m understanding more and more…

Please don’t let yourself get disappointed if it takes forever to study a single episode!
I’m doing these 2 minute long dialogs with a small group, and it takes us an hour to study the 2 minutes of speech (it’s an audiobook)
Conversational Japanese Dialogs

7 Likes

This channel is great, thank you so much! I’ve watched this one and the museum one and certainly didn’t understand everything, but I wrote down some key words and went back over them a few times, and some phrases have stuck in my memory already :smiley:

It’s also great just for getting used to hearing people speak!

1 Like

In my opinion, this lady with comprehensible Japanese is even better for beginners

2 Likes

Thanks so much, she seems great! I’ve added her to my watch list too :star_struck:

2 Likes

I made a set of Vocabulary flashcards for the Peppa Pig Kaimono episode. I week probably do some other episodes, also. I’m putting a library of links in the Listen Every Day Summer Challenge thread.

3 Likes

That’s awesome, that will be a great activity to do after watching the episode! Thank you for putting this together!

1 Like