Pembo's Pokemon adventure - (Solo bookclub ポケットモンスター SPECIAL!)

Page 8 kicked my butt, lots of vocab I didn’t know but luckily the grammar wasn’t too difficult so while it took a while looking up words on my phone, actually understanding what went on was simpler!

Handwritten Notes

I don’t like wasting paper, however writing with the spiral on right hand side of the page is very awkward!

Page 8

Plot:
The narration continues. No one knows how many types of Pokemon live in the world but Red is going to catch 'em all!

Bug Catcher asked Red if he knows オーキド博士 (Dr Orchid/Prof Oak). Red shows his usual arrogance and writes オーキド off an an eccentric, old man who lives on the outskirts of town. Young girl says there’s a rumour he’s actually a very knowledgeable man, and has a grandson that he has taught to be a Pokemon Trainer.

Red dismisses this grandson* (we’ll get to the interesting sentence)

Vocab:

• そのうち - someday/sooner or later
  • ぜーんぶ - I think this just a stylised 全部 meaning all (context そのうちこのレッド様がぜーんぶ捕まえてやるぜ!)
  • オーキド博士 - Doctor Orchid (Professor Oak in the West)
  • 町はずり - outskirts of town
  • へんくつ - strange/eccentric (変 plus another kanji I don’t know?)
  • うわさ - rumour/something overheard
  • くわしい - knowledgeable/well read
  • ただ - just/only
  • まご - grandchild
  • すっと - far away (also long ago)
  • たとえ - no matter/anyway
  • てき - enemy/opponent/rival

Grammar:

• そいつがどーかしたのか? - I guess there’s some grammar and vocab here “that guy” “what’s the matter” “hmm?” “what’s the deal with that guy” is my translation. のか is the new grammar point here, it’s pondering the previous sentence. そいつがどうかした being the sentence pondered.

Interesting Sentence:
たとえどんな奴が相手だって、オレ様の敵じゃないぜ!!

Context: Red has just been told Prof Oak has been teaching his grandson to be a Pokemon Trainer, Red dismisses Grandson with this statement.

My translation - Literally translated it basically means “I doesn’t matter who I am up against, they are not my enemy/opponent”. However I think it actually says “It doesn’t matter who I face, they’re no match for me!”

Why is this the interesting sentence? At first reading, if you’re new to the language, like I am, and you’re looking a lot of stuff up, it seems like Red is actually saying no one is his enemy or opponent. He’s almost being friendly which is opposite to his arrogance in the other pages. However, this is a problem with trying to translate word for word and not taking the whole sentence into consideration.

Red comes across as very arrogant and self-assured, but does pride come before a fall?! (I know the answer, I’ve already read the first 2 chapters last month :upside_down_face: )

2 Likes