One month until JLPT

I have the exact same book haha

1 Like

Multiple-choice test-taking tip: When you have no idea, always guess the same answer (a, b…). They try to even out the test so the number of a answers, b answers, etc. are about even. So if you take out all the ones you know, then the rest you don’t know should still be (about) evenly distributed.

If you guess randomly, you could guess all wrong. If you guess all a for the remaining ones, you should get whatever fraction that are a. (25% for 4-choice questions).

You’d be surprised how many standardized tests I’ve scored much higher than I should have by leaving ones I don’t know for the end, then filling in the rest as all a or all b.
(Not c, because true/false questions don’t have a c.)

3 Likes

My JLPT strategy. Do the book front to back, don’t linger on the ones I don’t know, but fill in most plausible and make a mark in the question booklet. Never leave anything blank, in case I don’t have time to go through them by the time I get to the end.

But per your advice for complete unknowns I’ll go with the same option each time, I think.

3 Likes

I had a very dear high school teacher who advised us “when in doubt, pick C”.
I have used this advice for many years, in many exams, and whenever I come to a multiple choice question and I’m not sure, I always think of Mr P and smile. :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m here, wishing I applied to N4 instead. Then I could relax.
But I picked N3 instead and I still have a lot of study to do.
I don’t think I have enough time to go through it all, but it doesn’t have to be a perfect score.
Pass is what I want. Just to pass.

5 Likes

Which level did you take? I’m trying to figure out which level to sit for when I reach level 12~
It at all T^T

Wot is listening? MY EARS ARE BROKORO????? JUST LIKE MY KOKORO???????????

6 Likes

I’m using WK just to kill time while commuting to and from work, so I don’t really cram or anything. I’m taking N5 just for fun, but I’m very aware that my grammar sucks, listening is non-existent and I can’t form even a basic sentence on my own but hey, a certificate is a certificate and there’s a chance I might pass the level that checks if you can read at the level of a seven years old child.

2 Likes
Study app screenshot

It just looked so scary today I had to take a picture of it. All Saturdays are listed as “Supplemental” days, so any study time I missed during the week becomes a massive pile on Saturdays. xD:
I’m definitely not going to finish all this by the test. xD:

2 Likes

100 parts :scream:

Oh my, best of luck! 頑張ってくださいね!

What’s that app you’re using, it looks nice~ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just took a sample test. 80% language, 70% grammar, (yikes) 60% listening.

I guess I’ll spend the next month focusing on listening. Won’t hurt that I’ll be in Japan for two weeks.

3 Likes

It’s Todait! It really helps me distribute my workload over the time I have available and also can keep track of how long I’ve been working! I really like it! :star:

And it keeps track of days off!

5 Likes

Currently looking for N4 practice tests trying not to panic to much.

2 Likes

Good luck!

Ugh Atlanta still hasn’t even posted the test location information!

It’s good to know that some things transcend nations.

7 Likes

I have to take this quote back as I’m going through Soumatome N3 listening and it’s a really good and practical book (at least for life, exam IDK). It’s decently fast thus far but gets harder as it goes and they a nice job with the transcripts.

2 Likes

The more I study, the more I realise I don’t know lmao. Taking N3 because I was pretty sure I could pass N4 so wanted a challenge. Not majorly worried about kanji and the cram book I’m using seems to have helped me with grammar a lot but vocab is killing me. I hate hiragana words!!!

Also I totally haven’t done any listening practice since I did well on a single practice test that I did :sweat_smile: I’m hoping that listening to peoples’ Japanese conversations at work is helping me via osmosis

I’m sinking so much money into cram books and stuff too oops

4 Likes

I explained this several times to several Italki teachers and they were all so surprised and confused xD I said on lower level tests, kanji words are written as hiragana, and I can’t read them! WK is both a blessing and a curse. At least with N3 there will be more this time, N4 was killer.

But yeah, kana only words are the worst ;o;

6 Likes

It has been a busy month (work, trip, 宿題, volunteer activities, etc etc…) prior to the JLPT next week, and all I can manage with all the craziness is do the N4 500問, Wanikani reviews, and MLC Listening Practice for N5-N4. With the 7 days left, I’m planning to review the grammar points that I’ve learned in our Japanese class, and do the mock test. I can definitely feel the pressure and panic kicking in. :exploding_head:

Will there be a lot of hiragana in N4? Coz based on the N4 500問 book, I sometimes get an answer wrong just because I didn’t realize it’s meaning when it’s written in hiragana. I definitely could’ve gotten it right, if only it was in Kanji! :pleading_face:

~
Also, shoutout to Wanikani, I’m confident in my Kanji now, compared to where I was before Wanikani, where any kanji totally won’t stick in my brain.

1 Like