Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

I just checked your profile, @Shannon_Shark and you made it to level 60!!! Congratulations! :sparkles::cake:
You came all the way, how is the cake tasting? :innocent:

9 Likes

Hope everyone’s staying safe. I’m at home all the time now (they just issued a shelter-in-place order for the whole Bay Area). Weirdly, even though I have more time now, I’ve found it a little harder to keep up with reviews – I guess it’s the routine disruption.

8 Likes

I’ve ended up sleeping through my morning sessions now that I’m away from school. Definitely the routine disruption.

8 Likes

This feels unreal

11 Likes

Felt very good to hit level 24 just now. Especially since I suddenly realized… I’m moving back to Sweden (from Japan) on Tuesday and I have a lot of to do until then. So I should probably just do reviews until I’m back in Sweden. Hopefully it all goes smoothly and my flight doesn’t get cancelled or anything like that.

8 Likes

Stay safe! Some airlines have reduced their flight frequency, but I think there should still be flight connections between Japan and Sweden.

7 Likes

Qantas, meanwhile, has cancelled all international flights until the end of May, and reduced all domestic flights by 60%.

5 Likes

My airline have too, but they cancelled about half the flights each week so I am fairly sure my current flight will still go on Tuesday. Knock on wood.

5 Likes

a little late but

@tupuliini おめでとう!
what are your plans now that you’ve gotten to level 60?

same here. I’ve started 2 levels in a row ~4 hours late so I’m about a day behind schedule now even though I’m at home all day and can go to bed / wake up at whatever time I want :sweat_smile:

On that note - I hope everyone is safe and healthy!
Heres a coronavirus flyer in Japanese to test our kanji prowess:

At this rate we might even see the Olympics getting postponed or canceled - which would be a huge blow for Japan and slightly awkward for us Olympians.

8 Likes

ありがとうございます!:heart_eyes: I’ve completed all the Japanese courses my university offers and I am now at the intermediate level. I’m planning on starting Tobira and self-studying once I have completed the other exams I have coming up.

7 Likes

Let me know if you start a thread for Tobira! I took Genki I+II and the first 1/3 of Tobira back in college but its been ~2 years since then. I’m back at my family home for the next month (because of classes going online) so I’ve been reviewing the genki series this week and was planning to review tobira next!

3 Likes

I’ll let you know! Not quite sure when I will get to Tobira as I still haven’t ordered it, but we can definitely start a study group or something when I do if you’d like! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to be part of a Tobira study group too!

3 Likes

Olympics are being postponed! They’re still working out the details, but they say cancellation is not being considered.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the Olympians and the Luminaries end at the same time :rofl:

12 Likes

ヤダ😖
I run on deadlines so I want it to still happen this year or I won’t get to 60 till 2021

Edit: on that note, what do y’all think about our deadline? (Anonymous)

• Postpose the deadline to the new Olympics date
  • Keep the deadline the same

0 voters

4 Likes

At this moment, nobody knows if the Olympics will be postponed at all. I’m sure the final decision will take several days or weeks. Even if it were postponed, I doubt it will be more than one or two months later.

2 Likes

Yup, thats what I’m hoping. And honestly Tokyo is crazy hot in the summer. It’ll be better for everyone if the delay it to the fall

3 Likes

Or sakura season. :slightly_smiling_face:

But yeah, I’m honestly perplexed as to why July in Tokyo seemed to be a good idea. The moment I realised it started in July was the moment I stopped considering doing a trip for the Olympics.

6 Likes

As someone who has made a point for a long time that I am not part of this thread, I feel VERY entitled to a vote in this poll.

9 Likes