Official announcement on upcoming API Version 2 breaking changes. Addition of new endpoint /spaced_repetition_systems

It’s possible that things will remain visually grouped, for the apprentice levels at least. Everything below “passing” could just be left together.

1 Like

Agreed. For categories beyond Unlocked (Lesson), I believe they will be: Started (Apprentice), Passed (Guru-Enlightened), and Burned

Note that anything in parentheses above is an aid, not here to stay (unless WK changes their mind about this)

2 Likes

Pretty sure there will still be lessons. I think you mean initiate

1 Like

Yes, of course, but people that haven’t read the docs wouldn’t know what in the world Initiate was supposed to be!

And, yes, I was actually talking about the other categories. Good catch!

2 Likes

I’d like it if the review thingy let you prioritize Apprentice level things, since those need to be reviewed anywhere from once a day to a couple times a week before they hit Guru. Going a day or two without doing enough reviews means Guru+ stuff backlogs fast and you can’t really hit the stuff that’s at Apprentice. Granted, maybe that just means keeping your number of apprentice items below a certain number.

I am concerned about the deprecation date. Only two months to get the job done. Some authors have massive amounts of scripts to update. I think of @Kumirei and @rfindley for example. There is also the Wanikani Open Framework and the Wanikani Additional Filters many other scripts depend on. They will have to be updated first, only then the other scripts can adjust. Script writers are doing this as a hobby. They have a life outside of script writing. I am afraid there will not be enough time to get the job done.

5 Likes

I don’t think I am using that endpoint at all in any of my scripts, actually. I am using the SRS names in some scripts, but I don’t have to update those right away

4 Likes

The affected endpoints are just pass-though requests from the Open Framework’s perspective, so I think the framework will be unaffected.

Like Kumirei, none of my scripts use the SRS endpoints.

wkstats does use it, so I’ll need to update that. I just glanced at the code, and while it will be a bit of work, it shouldn’t be too burdensome. I really need to get v2 completed anyway, since apiv1 is slated for phase-out in… mid-September, was it?

12 Likes

I do use it for one of mine. :slightly_frowning_face:

It looks like it’ll be relatively easy to convert over to the new endpoint. I just wasn’t really planning to do any script work, except for emergency maintenance of Lesson Filter if the UI breaks from all the React changes they’re making.

@viet For interval_unit, did you include this just in case, or do you actively have plans to add SRS intervals in some unit other than second?

4 Likes

Well it sounds like things are about to get very complicated in a way I’m not entirely sure I’m gonna like. One thing I’ve always loved about WaniKani is the simplicity of the system in place. It’s very easy to plan my schedule so that I can make sure I’m being efficient and making consistent and steady progress. If items are going to start having different SRS systems, it sounds like planning my study schedule is going to get a lot more complicated. I really hope I’m wrong and that this change works for the better but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t very apprehensive of the changes to come. The way vanilla WK is now is very effective and it would be sad to see the platform change so much that it loses what makes it unique and most of all useful.
Thanks for the all hard work and best of luck with the upcoming changes to WK. I’ll try to stay optimistic about them.

10 Likes

Feeling exactly the same here my friend. As it stands all we know is that some changes are underway to enable some other pretty big changes further down the line which are still under consideration. And the uncertainty of the nature of those changes has everyone on edge since we don’t have enough info to really put together a picture of what WK is going to look like afterwards so we can’t really judge yet whether these changes will be an improvement or not.

I’m apprehensive but I’ll give the team the benefit of the doubt for now and reserve judgement until we have a better idea of the nature of the changes and what that means for users.

3 Likes

Trying to figure out how is this going to affect my studying here…
So leveling up will take longer or it’s just a formal change(?)

2 Likes

Nothing is going to change in terms of timing right away. As mentioned in the OP:

In case you didn’t know, the two systems right now are:

1. Accelerated: levels 1-2
  2. Normal: all other levels
1 Like

Just in case. We’ll probably just be using seconds for everything. But if we end up using a different unit then it’ll be obvious. The api doc lists the units we could potentially use (milliseconds to weeks).

2 Likes

September 1.

4 Likes

No doubt. WaniKani is about the best learning program I’ve come across. I first started studying Japanese in the 90’s, but (OMG) with flash cards and nothing electronic it was quite difficult.

8 Likes

@viet I just realized something else. Right now WaniKani has different SRS logic when you get an answer wrong depending on the SRS rank of the item. If it’s in Apprentice it goes down by one rank, while if it’s above Apprentice it goes down by two ranks. Will you update this so that anything in the Starting phase goes down by one rank, while anything in the Passing phase goes down by two ranks?

8 Likes

:face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

jBd5eVa

2 Likes

That’s interesting… I never knew the exact formula, and frankly hadn’t cared except in the vaguest sense of glancing at general progress (but mainly noticing regress!). I still don’t catch some “burns” - going too fast sometimes.

1 Like

Can you rephrase this? I am having a hard time understanding what is the concern. Reading your post it reads to me what you are describing for the before and after are the same thing?

We have always decrement any starting stage between 1-4 (All apprentice levels) with a penalty of 1 and stages between 5 and 9 (Gurus, Master, Enlightened) by a penalty of 2. This has not changed at all. It is dependent on the starting stage and always has.

Edit:

Ok I thinking it is clicking for me.

You are saying that it, for example, if the SRS drop in the single review evaluation started from Master, it decrements by a factor of 2, but if the decrement crosses the into the Apprentice stages it should start dropping by 1? Like this scenario would happen if I answered incorrectly five times before answering the review correctly.

If this is the question it has never evaluated like this. To make sure this is the case I just reviewed the code changes, test coverage (we actually have a very specific test cases for this scenario), and sampled a couple review histories. It always depended on the current SRS stage. Anything in between didn’t matter.

Edit 2: The knowledge article explains how the algorithm.

3 Likes