Non-trivial words starting with 何

Preface: I’m pairing Wanikani with a 10k Anki deck, ordered by WK level and without the words already covered by WK, which I use to study additional vocabulary at a flexible pace. I’ll write more details when I’m ready to publish it, as it’s derived from another resource I found in this forum.

But now that I’ve completed L5, I’ve unlocked a number of words using 何 that I’m finding hard to tell apart.

This is the word list:

:green_circle: 何か___ something
:green_circle: 何とか__ somehow, please
:green_circle: 何しろ__ anyhow, as you may know
:green_circle: 何で___ why, what for
:red_circle: 何となく_ for some reason
:red_circle: 何と___ how, surprisingly
:red_circle: 何だか__ somehow, for some reason
:green_circle: 何より__ above all, most of all
:red_circle: 何て___ what, how?
:green_circle: 何べん__ (how) many times
:green_circle: 何でも__ anything, whatever
:red_circle: 何とも__ extremely, (not) at all
:red_circle: 何かと__ in various ways
:red_circle: 何ら___ of any kind, whatever

I already knew 何か, 何で, 何でも, so I’ve been looking for mnemonic or grammar rules for all the others.

Here are some I came up with myself:

何とか__ in one way or another (とか = or such)
何しろ__ as you may know (しろ = 知ろう?)
何より__ most of all (より = more than)
何べん__ how many times (へん = future kanji 遍 meaning times)

But for the following I draw a blank, mainly because I don’t understand the meaning of と in this context:

何と
何とも
何となく
何かと

As well as these, no idea at all:

何だか
何て
何ら

Can anybody help me find explanations or mnemonic rules for these words?

11 Likes

I had this bookmarked as I thought it would be a really interesting discussion. I’m surprised you didn’t get any responses!

I don’t know if I can help with any of those. I had a quick read up about なんら and, when used in the negative, it seems similar to the English phrase “none what so ever” / “nothing what so ever”?

1 Like

The dictionary (大辞泉) says it’s from the command form of する, しろ.

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for you, but I’m interested! I’m especially interested in this awesome deck you’re working on!

It might be worth adding 何卒 to your list too!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.