No furigana = pointless examples

am i the only one that dosent understand why the examples dont have furigana on them? without it they become pretty useless since its pretty much implied that you cant read kanji if you use this service…
please fix this! unless you can add it somewhere in settings (havent found anything tho)

5 Likes

Their solution, such as it is, has been to add secondary sample sentences in mostly kana to the earlier levels.

4 Likes

If you’re on Chrome I’d recommend installing rikaikun. It gives mouse-over furigana and translation of words. I’m sure there’s some equivalent for Firefox.

3 Likes

I just switched from rikaikun to yomichan this week. So far I like it better.
Firefox has rikaichan and rikaisama (though I don’t know if that one is signed, so it might be harder to install).

2 Likes

I’d suggest swapping to Rikaigu instead of Rikaikun, though:

1 Like

It seems to have Anki integration, interesting.
Can you add cards to deck via it or does it only look up anki decks for definitions?

Not sure if it really matters to anybody but for some reason Rikaigu is closed source, which is odd considering Rikaikun, which it appears to be forked from, is open source.

Honestly, I am enjoying the fact that I can not read the example sentences. It shows a marked progression; the more Japanese I know, the more of the sentence I am able to understand without the translation.

8 Likes

If the sentences were actually useful they would be building off only the vocab/kanji you have learned.

Then you would want to have some kind of grammar lessons to explain the grammar parts, each new vocab you learn you would also learn new grammar and actually be able to make sentences! At that point you are learning Kanji in context, as opposed to in isolation. Which would work, but it is an overall slower method for learning Kanji (in theory).

Granted that is about the entire theory of JALUP’s method. I personally just use Wanikani to learn the kanji ASAP, then reinforce through other learning sources. The way they currently are, I don’t even bother looking at them.

3 Likes

I completely agree. I love trying to piece together what it says based on the kanji that you do know. Later, you can always come back and be like.

“Ah! That’s it!”

I’ve come up with a new recipe

5 Likes

The example sentences have more than one purpose, and reading practice is secondary. The most important thing is the sentences give you an idea of the grammar and meaning possible with the word. They do fail to clarify those things occasionally, but not being able to read the other kanji in the sentence is the least important aspect.

You might think they can be better, but you are wrong to say they are pointless.

4 Likes

Well noticed, that is indeed odd. Hopefully an explanation exists…

I don’t really mind it for the most part, I’d prefer to be exposed to what real sentences are going to look like with more kanji, it makes you stop and think harder about it without the furigana on top of it. And like others have said, there’s usually the second example with more hiragana so it’s a little easier to read, or you could download one of those browser extensions like Rikaigu. The main thing I look for isn’t so much the meaning of the sentence, but seeing how the word is placed/used in the sentence structure. (how does it relate to the other words around it?)

What if WaniKani let you hide/expose the furigana though? Like you could click on it to expose the reading for a word in examples, then you could get the best of both having furigana and testing your kanji reading skills.

2 Likes

You, my friend, have earned my undying respect for that pun!

この毛糸は24時間後に金に変わるんだけど、クリスマスプレゼントとして少しあんたにあげるよ
感謝しろよな。

This yarn will turn into gold in 24 hours and I’ll give you some as a Christmas present,
so you should appreciate me more.

Does コイチさん create these sentences? They are so funny.

I don’t use Anki, so I can’t say for sure. But my understanding is that if you add an additional plugin/extension to Anki, yomichan can add cards to your deck automatically. The developer has pretty detailed explanations on his page.

1 Like

Rikaisama is one (of the many) reasons why I love Firefox. Audio playback, frequency number, voice inflection, export to Anki. It’s awesome.

Suggesting that WK also teach grammar is asking a lot. It would take a complete overhaul of the site. Tofugu has other resources for teaching grammar, and WK excels at what it focuses on.

2 Likes

Never said it should. Said it could, without knowing the grammar the sentences in their state serve almost no point to anyone that doesn’t know the grammar.

Other than you can use this word in a sentence! Well of course you can. Wanikani teaches Kanji, not how to read sentences.

lol. Yaayy! I have made one of the forum people happy. This pleases me.

Oh, Iggy. XD