"Nic Cage" is a synonym for "National Treasure" 国宝?

Today during my new lessons study I found some kind of joke (?) in the database of Wanikani!
For the term “National Treasure” 国宝 was the synonym “Nic Cage” given. I am not an English native speaker, but I guess it refers to “Nicolas Cage” ?!? Some kind of joke here in WaniKani or admiration, fan-ish weirdness??

Any thoughts about it? Did anybody see it as well?

8 Likes

Yes, Nicholas (Nic) Cage starred in the movie(s) National Treasure.

21 Likes

Until now I thought he was a national treasure, for… whatever reason.

37 Likes
12 Likes

I definitely know some people who “think” he’s a national treasure.

5 Likes

I’m American, and I needed an explanation for that too.

5 Likes

Oh wow joined 2 hours ago and already lifetime subscription? Welcome :smiley:

5 Likes

Haha! I’ve been a using the service on and off since 2013. I didn’t know there was a community board until this morning :sweat_smile:
Thank you for the welcome.

8 Likes

I’m Nic Cage, and I needed an explanation for that too

27 Likes

There’s also the “Dick Cheney” synonym for 黒幕

9 Likes

To be quite clear, by the way: it’s a joke. 国宝 does not actually mean “Nic Cage”, any more than 四十二 means “The Answer”.

11 Likes

Blasphemy!

9 Likes

I’m… I’m a joke?

19 Likes

5 Likes

I got to this point now… :slight_smile: Thanks for warning me!

1 Like

Just go watch “Adaptation” directed by Spike Jonez where Cage plays Charlie Kaufman (the writer of the movie) and his twin brother (Kaufman doesn’t have a twin). Nic Cage IS a nation treasure, and one of the best actors in his generation when he’s not being lazy, which, sadly, is most of the time.

2 Likes

Truer words have never been written…

2 Likes

That’s awesome, especially since I really like the National Treasure movies.

3 Likes

When I came across “Wall Cubbard” as a meaning for 押入れ, I thought maybe that was a staff in-joke, so I asked Kristen who confirmed that most likely, someone on the staff (name redacted to protect the guilty, I suppose) was just a bad speller. Anyway, she removed it, so don’t be inputting “Wall Cubbard” when that word comes up for Enlighten or Burn…

3 Likes

Or “Face Off” because, I don’t know, guilty pleasure I guess.

2 Likes