"Nic Cage" is a synonym for "National Treasure" 国宝?

Face Off is the one film where Nic Cage’s overacting is exactly what the film needed. 丁度いい!

5 Likes

7 Likes

Hehe. I just came across this, and it was a much-appreciated moment of levity. (And I just knew there has to be a thread on this.)
Also, whatever he did later, Cage was great in “Moonstruck”.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words.

3 Likes

Yes I have seen it too and it is totally ridiculous and idiotic to even be in there. Given that they have the course riddled with mistakes, radicals that are non existent, ridiculous names for radicals that do not exist, using complete kanji as a radical really leaves a lot to be desired for the quality of the course. It is just one of many frustrations in the course.

If the course did not have so many mistakes and things that you have to make your own manual synonyms for then I would not be so critical of light hearted humour.

1 Like

7 Likes

The early levels are pretty hammered out, but if you find a mistake you can email them at hello@wanikani.com. However, if you’re referring to design decision, then that’s completely a matter of opinion.

They make up their own radicals to make it easier to learn.

There have been many studies showing that ridiculous mnemonics (which is what the radicals are for) are more effective for retention.

This is the same for Kangxi radicals, though…

Wanikani teaches the main meanings, the most important ones. If they were to add every meaning or every way to say a thing, then it would be too much information to take in.

Why, though? It’s not like you’re going to accidentally learn it as Nic Cage. It makes no difference to the average user. Do you think that easter eggs are inherently bad?

16 Likes

1 Like

I think this topic really hasn’t done much to address the elephant in the room. The U.S. didn’t have a culture until Nic Cage. And, when he is gone U.S. culture will stop progressing. We need to find a way to deal with this, or we will not be on track for a good rating.

6 Likes

If you see the dude on the left and instead of Mark Twain, you think it’s Colonel Sanders…

7 Likes

Oh… I, oh no.

5 Likes

Their own fabricated radicals do not make it easier to learn. They are a major distraction and inconvenience when you already know them by their proper names and have to go into the system to add your own synonyms just to normalise it.

Their kanji do not have the most important meanings. Often they are lacking the most important meanings and are way off.

Fortunately with my work and day to day life I have actual Japanese people to double check with.

1 Like

… Then perhaps WaniKani is not the best system for you?

Aye, this I’ll grant - it’s irritating how frequently WaniKani gives the meaning of a kanji as something, but then every single vocab item using that kanji uses one of its other meanings.

6 Likes

It works to a point, however it needs extensive work by myself after the lessons to actually verify everything and add the synonyms I need. I am only using it to get above JLPT N5/N4 levels which I am already at to get just above the N3 level which I am attempting to test this year.

1 Like

1 Like

I was about to add Nic Cage as a joke synonym but to my surprise it was already there.

4 Likes

7 Likes

1 Like

Did this guy finally leave the site so he could complain about it incessantly to other people?

Edit: oh right, he was banned. Either way, I’m mad that this topic reminded me of him.

4 Likes

If you dont have an authentic roman toilet sponge are you even living

2 Likes