New to wanikani.Any tips?

1. I recommend you install scripts to keep track and test your leeches. I found one of the most demotivating aspect long term is to see items you keep failing over and over again, so be proactive. Set yourself a limit of 20-30 leeches, and if you reach that limit, review them all and create better mnemonics for them. If you let them grow to 50-70, leeches alone may make up a third to half of your reviews, so kill those leeches with prejudice.
  1. Keep going. Sometimes, I keep confusing an item when it’s still in apprentice but the moment I guru it once, I get to see a ton of vocabulary about this item, which reinforces it. Sometimes, I found the best way to learn a difficult kanji is to cheat and guru it once, just to see it more in-context.
  2. Have fun. The moment you’re no longer having fun, it’s a warning sign you should tweak something or the other. You’ll be doing this for a long time, so don’t make things more difficult than they need to be. Just relax, tailor your experience with the scripts that work for you, join book clubs, and allow yourself to have a good time on your journey
1 Like