N5 and N4 Kanji Flash cards - want to buy

Hello All. I mentioned on a previous post I am aiming at N5 and N by end of this year (although a helpful comment was just aim at N4 as it includes N5 anyway). I have been trying (thus far without success) to see if there are any Kanji flash cards directed specifically at these N levels so that I can focus on this (still keeping up with WK) - surprisingly online, Kinokunya and Abbeys say there is nothing - this seems odd as this is a popular proficiency test and its seems that there is a market opportunity there. Does anyone know if there are flash cards oriented specifically to the JLPT?

1 Like

So I searched some keywords and after some digging I found this: N5 and N4. I think it’s harder to find stuff because there’s not as much of a focus on vocab and the like until N3, but I don’t have anything other than my gut feeling to back that up :joy:

Is this the type of cards you’re looking for? It seems to be a companion for a studying book series, so there’s that too I guess. The author also has kanji+vocab sets from what I see. Never used these, so can’t vouch for them though.

Personally, though, I’ve found making my own flashcards to be more helpful than buying premade ones as I remember them better, so maybe look at getting some study books like these and going from there, or using a page like this one or this one as a reference.

But also honestly, if you’re using WaniKani, you might be fine. I don’t know how much other vocab there is in the N5 and N4 tests, and my brief search shows that many of them are in WaniKani, but it’s all up to you in the end.

Best of luck! I’m sure you’ll knock this test out of the park!

Thanks BigEm. The trouble I have with making my own flashcards is two-fold - very time consuming and my handwriting is (to say the least) somewhat untidy.

1 Like

Ah, I get that, my kanji handwriting is horrendous. Have you tried making online ones? Sometimes even the action typing makes it easier for me. Also if you use a free site (I personally use Quizlet because I’m a creature of habit) you don’t have to spend money on flashcards :+1:

Also sometimes people have made decks on these sites you can use, so if you want free ones that you don’t have to make there’s that too

1 Like

The act of making the card is an extra study moment. And if you do it with enough attention, will most definitely be worth more than flipping a premade card over a bunch of times.

3 Likes

I suspect there isn’t much of a market because (as someone said above) most people just learn the kanji via the vocab they appear in. It’s also worth noting that there are no official lists of vocab / kanji for the JLPT - only lists compiled based on previous appearances.

That said, WKStats suggests that at level 9 you already know most of the ‘N5 kanji’, and by level 17 would know 100% of the N5 kanji and over 98% of N4. So I’m not really sure it’s worth your time to study them separately from WaniKani as well?

3 Likes

Hey,
i found flashcards for jlpt 5 and 4 from Whiterabbit on this website.
Perhaps it helps :slight_smile:
I like them because there are further information and not only the kanji.

1 Like

Have you considered non physical flashcards, ie Anki or Kistuin for example?

1 Like

Food for thought - thanks - I am trying to control my increasingly desperate search for the magic bullet

2 Likes

I think most WaniKani users report that kanji were not a problem in the least on the test, so I definitely think it’s worth considering devoting your energy elsewhere :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.