My Return After A Long Hiatus

So after about 2 months of ignoring Wanikani (was busy moving country in my defence) I came back earlier this week and was met by this:

A rather intimidating sight but after 4 days I can finally say that we are in the clear once more! Persevere folks!

Now on with the next batch of lessons I guess…

27 Likes

err merrr gerdddd

Four days though ? good effort ! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Damn. The one time I got close to that big a pile I restarted the whole thing :sweat_smile:

Good job though! It’s tough to get through the pile. I’ve just gotten down to 14 lessons and 0 reviews after a 2 year break… I don’t recommend waiting that long :joy:

5 Likes

Try and do at least a hundred or so a day, and don’t worry about get them wrong.
Last time this happened to me I had to average 300+ reviews a day before they went down.

Try not to get upset, worried, etc, about getting them wrong.

3 Likes

Welp, could not have been easy moving to another country in this situation. Good job clearing the review pile!

6 Likes

Hey! Good job to you! :grin:

Changed jobs and moved, so was missing for about 8-ish months? Came back to 2k+ reviews :rofl: been trying my best to get them down (doing about 100 per day, any more I’d get frustrated) and I’m glad i didn’t reset cause there’s a lot of stuff i can actually burn! :grin:

My lessons are about 200+ but i dont bother touching them, kinda wanna get my reviews to a sane number first;;;

4 Likes

I have this strange fascination with “returning to WK” testimonies like yours.
I’m still trying to find someone who took longer than 1733 days (my longest gap between level ups).

You. Can. Do.This.

5 Likes

A move to Japan… hopefully? :smiley: That would certainly give the motivation to tackle a big stack of reviews like that!

5 Likes

Woah good job!! I had a similar predicament, I had over 700 reviews to do but that took me over a week to complete. So, over a 1000 reviews in 4 days is just amazing!

5 Likes

welcome back
Hey welcome back @JDJ77! Congratulations on the move. Hopefully the recent conditions did not affect your move adversely. Hopefully, also, your new country and surroundings can help you get higher in levels. All the best!
:nerd_face::steam_locomotive:
let’s keep chugging along! that golden level 60 is within reach, let’s do it! :fire:

4 Likes

Congrats on the international move and in getting those reviews down to zero! :clap:

3 Likes

Good lord that’s a serious break! I rate your persistence with sticking with it!

1 Like

Yeah I was suprised by how many I could actually burn! I didn’t do any new lessons in the run up to the move because I knew there would be a stack when I came back to it. Think that helped quite a lot as a lot of the kanji were already in the later SRS levels so were already based in my longer term memory. Definitely helped with motivation when I was still getting about 70% right!

1 Like

Yup it sure was! Giving this whole teaching gig a go and enjoying it so far! Schools have closed for the moment but still getting payed, miss the students though!

Definitely glad I made the move though, the alternative would be being unemployed and in lockdown back home

3 Likes

I did this once as well and came back in January to a TON of reviews… Kudos for getting through that mountain in 4 days!! It’s not easy, that’s for sure. :joy:

I have only stopped 5 days in over 9 months. When I knew I was not going to be able to use the site in those days, I enabled the vacation mode.

It worked flawlessly, why didn’t you enable it?

I cant even think of dealing with the burden of that backlog…

2 Likes

I am in the same boat (although not quite 1000), took me a few days to get back to 0, and now im trying to get them high enough in the SRS so that i dont have a few hundred per day to do, but am getting there.

To be honest I forgot it was really even a feature haha

It worked out fairly well in the end though. Got through the stack and didn’t forget too much. Maybe it even worked out a little better seeing as the timings were not frozen so the items I got right are at a higher level than they would have been at this time if I had used it

1 Like

I also started again last week, after a year of (nearly) no reviews. I would come back once every few months, merely to assess the damage. I finally leveled up an hour or so ago, after 387 days. In response, I get one of Koichi’s famous inspirational E-mails:

You finished the first “苦 painful” level. That wasn’t so bad, right? You’re not descending into madness, or anything…

Way to rub salt in the wound. :rofl: Yet I love getting those E-mails, no matter how personally attacked I may feel. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m glad you powered through. Many would have given up with that number.

1 Like