I’d like to share my overall plan how I want to tackle Japanese and learn whether you would suggest any adjustments.
I am currently committing roughly 1 to 1.5 rather focused hours a day to my Japanese studies.
- all kana by duolingo & writing exercises first (done)
- starting kanji on a daily basis (WK level 3 now)
- Japanese course with Genki in parallel, followed by Bunpro
- graded reading
Before I knew whether I want to commit to this project, I started learning hiragana and katakana via duolingo and some writing exercise sheets earlier this year. I invested about half an hour a day and developed a confident grasp of all the characters and picked up some basic vocabulary of about 250 words & phrases along with it.
I stopped using duolingo and now focus on WK (heavy on userscripts). I include a bit of writing exercise along with it and also use KameSame. I prioritize content as follows:
- do radical and kanji lessons first and thoroughly. I take 1-2 minutes per radical. Kanji lessons are my largest time-sink, taking 1 to 5 minutes per symbol so far.
- reviews if radicals or kanji are on the line
- then do vocab lessons
- then do vocab reviews
- directly after any WK session, I do reviews on KS
- I plan to go maximum speed until I get most of the N5 and N4 kanji, then I plan to slow it down a bit to focus more on using what I learned for grammar and language production and reading.
I will have an entry level Japanese course at my university in the second half of this year. I am preparing by learning Genki vocab (Anki) so that I can focus on grammar and listening/speaking during the course. The course covers most of Genki I. I plan to follow up the course with Genki I+II self study and Bunpro. That should be about the time when I slow down WK as mentioned to have more time to focus on these things.
Halfway through the Japanese course I plan to start graded reading in Japanese.
Once I get through the Genki books, have continued WK until then and have used bunpro to some degree I’d reach an intermediate level and will probably readjust from there, so I am not thinking that far ahead for now.
What are your thoughts? Did I miss something important?
Thank you for your time.