Most recent non-WK kanji you've learned?

Not the most recent I’ve learned but the one that’s stuck in my head recently since I’m playing 二ノ国 right now and the first city had a quest concerning them lol.

hmm come to think of it THE most recent actually would be 宵 of 今宵。Saw it last night in the 2nd episode of Terrace House season 1.

Yeah but I mean its not like the average japanese person could pass that either lmao. 100% would just be all of the kanji/words in this thread. I mean, I think I know over 50% so surely you do too lol.

Crazy enough, I know this one’s meaning. I have never seen it…but one day like 2 years ago I was randomly making kanji in jisho with the radical search and I found this and never forgot it because it looks exactly like what it describes. Reading was long gone doe lol.

2 Likes

Heavily stretching the definition of the word “kanji,” I saw 〒 used like one with a reading of ゆうびん today, which I imagine people living in Japan may recognize more quickly than I did.

I also noticed as a mark to show someone is singing, as in la la la

2 Likes

Also: in a cool font, 餐!

2 Likes

The book I’m currently reading occasionally surprises me with interesting kanji. My newest findings are:

針鼠 (はりねずみ) - I knew the word but I don’t think that I’ve seen the second kanji before (and it’s not on WaniKani).

揶揄 (やゆ) - both kanji are not on WK (and I didn’t know the word).

3 Likes

綾 (あや)as in 言葉の綾 (ことばのあや)meaning “figure of speech”

2 Likes

誅 - ちゅう punish, punish with death

Also found the word 誅する (ちゅうする, to put to death). If new learners who are confused by homophones learned about this, their heads would explode.

6 Likes

ちゅうする to kiss someone to death? :eyes:

8 Likes

懦 Coward (hope it’s not exclusive to chinese, I did find it on jisho)

Probably more common in compounds like 懦夫(だふ), but yeah, no worries, the kanji exists in Japanese too.

駐車場(つきぎめちゅうしゃじょう)。 I’ve known what this phrase means for a long time, just from context (paid monthly parking), but I somehow never bothered to look up the second kanji until this week. I guess in this connotation, the character means something like “settlement” as in “settle your parking bill each month,” but has a range of meanings from poles (like magnetic or electric poles), to concepts of extremity, as exemplified by one meaning as the number 10^48 (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).

2 Likes

Given the reading (and the other possible kanji for that reading), 極め is probably linked to 決め(as in決める)and likely means ‘settle’ as in ‘settle on (or fix) a fee for each month’. 月極 is the usual way of writing it, yes, but 月極め is apparently possible as well (with the same reading and meaning).

In any case, it’s a new word for me, so thanks! It was interesting finding out about it by searching the dictionary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

月極 is one of those many words you see all the time walking around or living in Japan, which somehow isn’t in the WaniKani vocabulary set. I’ve never seen 月極め, with the okurigana, in the wild!

3 Likes

Ah nvm just found it again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.