Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

相応しい (ふさわしい) appropriate, suitable, fitting.

You shouldn’t feel bad about it. I haven’t come across the word yet myself in context, though it could be I just need to read more. I see people use とく more commonly to mean “especially.”

3 Likes

Are these all from a single story line? If so, the ending gets pretty crazy :grin:

俺様
Didn’t come across till recently…very useful when referring to someone who thinks too highly of themselves.

1 Like

職種しょくしゅ - type of occupation; occupational category
必然 ひつぜん - inevitable; necessary; certain; sure; inevitability; necessity
日報 にっぽう - daily report
出迎でむか え - meeting; reception
出迎 でむか える - to meet; to greet
激情げきじょう - violent emotion; passion; fury
たか ぶる - to be highly strung; to get excited; to get worked up; to be proud; to be haughty; to be pompous
けわ しい - precipitous; rugged; inaccessible; impregnable; steep; grim; severe; stern
険阻 けんそ - precipice; steep (e.g. mountain pass)
困惑こんわく - bewilderment; perplexity; embarrassment; discomfiture; bafflement

永遠 eternity

月明かり(つきあかり)- moonlight

I learned it from the song “Ghost Town Polaroids” by For Tracy Hyde

顔(かお)now I know what the the Japanese skin care brand Kao means! I am so happy now !

1 Like

刺繍 (ししゅう) - embroidery.
Don’t know though, if I will ever use it again.

2 Likes

More of an expression but,

ここだけのはなし – “between you and me[…]” / “don’t tell anyone else about this[…]”

7 Likes

Been listening to East of Timeline a lot recently. Some words that I’m picking up because they repeat in it a lot.

威光 - power, influence, authority
遠く- far away, distant
近く- near
忘れらる - to be forgotten, to slip into obscurity
気付く- to notice, to recognize, to become aware

時差ぼけ (じさぼけ) - jet lag

WK teaches 時差 (time difference) and ぼけ (as 呆け). So jet lag is basically a time difference idiot? :thinking: :eyes:

3 Likes

ボケる can be used if you’re spacing out, right? It’s could be based on that.

1 Like

I’ve been into Monster Hunter lately, so I got some new words…
装備 - そうび - Equipment (relates to Hunter gear and all, in this context)
討伐 - とうばつ - Subjugation, here is used to designate hunting of monsters.
狩る -かる to hunt animals, naturally!

埋葬 – burial

The most recent word I learned or spelled out and recognized is 「バス」for “bus” in My Neighbor Totoro last night. It was on the bus itself and on the bus stop sign. I was so happy I could spell it and it made sense to me! I also was wondering what about “bus” could have Katakana and not Hiragana or even a Kanji for it. Still learning by observing when they use each and what is foreign and not.

1 Like

There are some things that have both a commonly used katakana loanword, and a relatively obscure kanji version. The “Japanese” word for bus is 乗合自動車. Literally “ride together automobile”.

A computer is typically コンピュータ or パソコン, but the word 電子計算機 (electronic calculation machine) exists as well.

I’ve never seen either in real life though.

1 Like

Hmmmm. I guess that makes sense! I know on Tofugu when explaining Katakana uses, the last one was just preference. I could see that being a preference

1 Like

Just FYI, the first post did send me a notification that you were replying to me. For some reason though they don’t put the little “arrow pointing to who you replied to” thing when your post is directly under the one you replied to. I guess they assume it’s obvious? Even though you can definitely reply after someone, but not to them, ya know…

This is my first time commenting on the forum so I wasn’t sure what kind of notifications they send! ありがとう!

1 Like