MIT Open Courseware Japanese?

Hello, quite new to learning Japanese here (just reached level 3 on WaniKani). Has anyone tried the MIT Open Courseware Japanese courses? Are they a good resource for someone who is planning to self-study Japanese?

1 Like

I’m not sure I can find any MIT OCW videos for the Japanese courses (found course material on the website only), could you possibly provide a link?

It’s just the course material–exercises to go through with a time frame plus some tests. Unfortunately this isn’t a course that has video resources.

Here is the link to the first course: Japanese I | Global Studies and Languages | MIT OpenCourseWare

1 Like

Kyoto University has a free online Japanese course as well
https://www.samidori.k.kyoto-u.ac.jp/

4 Likes

Thank you so much, i’ll check this out!

As someone who took Japanese classes at MIT, I’d say the OCW is not worth anyone’s time. I didn’t think the MIT classes were particularly good in person. Not a lot of focus on interactive learning, and our textbook was in romaji.

We did get a lot of writing practice, so that’s good. But after 2 years I wasn’t able to hold a conversation. I had no confidence. I could’ve gotten more out of self study.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.