Memes in Japanese

Who’s Kyoko? ^^
it was nice to see 一本気 again btw (=

3 Likes

I don’t think the middle kanji works like that.

I mean the most common translation is cosmetics so maybe it could have something to do with personal grooming but…

1 Like

she’s the female voice when you click on the listening feature during a review ^^

10 Likes

i think that’s the joke. it’s a lavatory, but you could interpret the kanji in that way if you’re in panic ^^
化粧室

6 Likes

I think that may be regional. Where I live, everyone says “review” as リビュー

1 Like

I agree it’s not the best gloss, but that’s what NHK went with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it’s also convenient place.

1 Like

You’d think they’s put the オ for "o"pen on the correct kanji.

Edit: I try to remember, " ‘o’ is in the center of ‘close’, and オ is in the center of 閉. Both words, same meaning."

9 Likes

the meme’s what now?

26 Likes

The mnemonic I use for myself is that the middle of 開 looks like a torii gate, which is always open for entry, while the middle of 閉 looks like a hinged door swinging shut.

Ah, my precise thought. Can we tag a moderator to delete that apostrophe? :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Done
#notamod

Also, to contribute to this thread:
imadeshou

14 Likes

My computer is taking ages to update, so in the meantime I’m going to trust you to imagine the image this caption goes on.

これはパイプじゃない

7 Likes

69 Likes

i just remember when i used to use rosetta stone, the first words you’d lean in vocab would be onnanoko, onnanohito, over and over and over and over. hikokii…

6 Likes

saving this one

2 Likes

korewapaipudewanai

33 Likes

Oh, frabjous day.

Well, that’s old-school memeing.

10 Likes

Just reversed image searched this, found the artists store and ordered both prints. This is a 宝.

1 Like

I dont understand, what is that?

That is a classical Japanese art representation of this meme:

womanyellingcat-1573233850

Not entirely sure what セルセル and ササレレ mean, though. Presumably dialectical versions of the same thing.

10 Likes