Master List of Book Clubs

Yeah, that’s not eligible :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

IT’S ALWAYS ELIGIBLE IF YOU PUSH HARD ENOUGH
And don’t mind being destroyed in the poll.

7 Likes

The app sucks, but the actual reader is ok. Also easy to buy stuff with Apple Pay. Dictionary look up works on iOS very well (shows japanese and english definition), but for some reason is very slow; it can lag a few seconds everytime. My biggest gripe, however, is that when I’m reading at night in dark mode, the dictionary pop-up blinds me with white light :expressionless:. The whole app doesn’t respect dark mode, just the text part…

3 Likes

Ha ha I wrote that some time ago. I still use it because I started buying Re Zero book on it but I definitly find it that have some flaws. I prefer bookwalker now.

1 Like

But wasn’t that what we are talking about? :joy: It says you wrote that three days ago?

3 Likes

ah! hum… that is embarrassing. For some reason I read that as something else hum… forget about what I said. It’s late and I haven’ t gotten lots of sleep.(Yeah it’s a excuse but I will go with it)
Sorry

4 Likes

When did you have in mind for starting 本好きの下剋上 (if you do)? And what pace are you thinking? I’d be interested in joining if it’s 15-25 pages per week or if it’s just a read-at-your-own-pace discussion group.

6 Likes

Either after I finish catching up with some more book clubs in a couple of weeks, or whenever someone else starts a club.

5 Likes

:eyes:
I wonder who could such a thing.

4 Likes

Should the Kiki reread be moved to the offshoot section now that it’s started?

1 Like

I’ll let @Radish8 decide that.

1 Like

And we now have a start date for レンタルおにいちゃん - Big Brother Rental in the ABBC - August 8th, so I’ve added it to the Master List.

4 Likes

Can anyone start a book club? How does one decides which level to put it in?

4 Likes

The short answer to that is… yes.

Anyone can start a bookclub at any time. I’ve done it myself a few times. If lots of people join you, that’s great, and if you end up reading alone, well that’s fine too.

The clubs do have a procedure for nominating and voting on books, and the advantage to that is that people get involved and are more likely to be invested in the club. But, you don’t have to go through that process if you don’t want to. I never have, all the clubs I set up, I just did it independently.

All I’d say is, when you set up your club, give people lots of time to be able to buy the book. And make sure you spend a lot of time reading through some of the existing clubs to see how it all works.

As for level, again, look through the existing clubs a lot until you get the feel for it. Good luck with your bookclub!

8 Likes

Basically what @_Marcus said, but with two additions.

1. You need to be willing to manage the book club. That means creating a thread to gather interest, polling for start date and pace, and creating new threads (or posts or whatever) every week to announce the next section being read.
  2. You should make sure that the book is within your level, to the extent that you don’t drop out at least. It’s perfectly fine to not be the best person in the club and need a lot of help with understanding the book. But you want to make sure that you’re not going to drop out from underestimating the difficulty.

What book did you have in mind? If you’re unsure of the difficulty, post some samples and some of the longtime members can probably tell you the difficulty it belongs to.

15 Likes

Hello! I am thinking of starting a book club for the 10th volume of the Manga 3月のライオン (March Comes in Like a Lion) for fans of the anime–it’s the book that picks up right after the second season of the anime ends. Although it is a manga, I would not call it a beginner book–it was intended for young adults, so it uses adult level Kanji. I’m not sure what level to call it, so if anyone with more experience leveling books wants to chip in, I’d be grateful. Thanks to Radish8, I now know you can read sample pages here:
https://comic.pixiv.net/store/products/233410

Each chapter has an article on Shougi that could be optional, so people who want more reading could do so, or skip it without getting behind in the story.

Once I decide a level, I’ll post a poll to see how many people are interested, and when people would want to start. I’m thinking sometime in the Fall.

Update: we are starting from book one, sometime in September, and will work our way through the series.
More info here:3月のライオン (March Comes in Like a Lion) Book Club🦁🤓

5 Likes

It’s preferable if you make just one post and mention the people you want to thank. Especially since you are only allowed to make 3 posts in a row. If I hadn’t posted this you wouldn’t be allowed to post whatever you are currently writing.

8 Likes

Can’t help right now, I’m afraid, but people can look at the free samples on comic.pixiv if they want to get an idea of the difficulty to advise you.

2 Likes

(ooof, I wish I had known about those free samples on comicpux before I typed all this. People on this forum are such founts of knowledge.)

Here is an example of a page of average difficulty for the book. The book sometimes has furigana. Where furigana was used, I will put it in parentheses. Also, since the frequent line breaks help comprehension, I’ve included them:

って
すっごく
思ったん
ですよ…
しかも
よく見るんですよ
この夢…

うん、
訊(き)かなきゃ
よかった。
-ってのが
正直な今の
感想かな。

[Side commentary:]
ながかったな-うん
ズルズル

「記憶力のいいヤツって
夢とかも覚えてるもん?」
くらいの。
軽い問題
だったんだけど。

なんで こんな夢ばっかり
みるのかな…
夢って無意識の
現れって
言いますよね?
調べてみたら
何かかい解るの
かな。
本とかよんでみようかな
…よく解らないけど
フロイトでしたっけ?

いや…
フロイト先生に聞いたら
なんでも「性的なメタファー」って
いわれちゃう恐れがあるから。
うん。
先生もあんまり
わからないけど…

ーしかも、あれでしょ?
君の夢
「生贄(いけにえ)」とか
「お金バラまく」とか

ーホント
もう
調べないでね
ぜったい!!

青春のセントラルドグマに
堕ちて行くだけ
だから!!
だめ!!
ぜったい!!
順位戦も
始まるんだから
世の中には、突き詰めない方が
いい事ってもあると思うんだ。
先生は。

2 Likes

I’m learning so much about how all this works–thanks!

2 Likes