March Comes in Like a Lion, Chapters 7-10🦁

Aw, such a bittersweet chapter. Hina is definitely one of my favorite characters. And the cats. They’re truly on their own special level of greatness. :grin:

2 Likes

「フクフクにするのが好きなの」- what is フクフク? I’ve tried 3 dictionaries and nothing has come up…

From context, it seems to be “fat and happy.” I wonder if it’s a made up word based on either 福 or 復-- the latter because she’s nursing them back to health. But that’s pure speculation.

It seems to be a real word:

(From the description it seems to mean either “happy” or “stuffed”, so basically what you said.)

3 Likes

I am needing a gold star now, for my mastery of context clues.

3 Likes

This is where discussion of Chapter 8 starts, although feel free to talk about chapter 7, still.
If you have thoughts about the Shougi Article in between, though, record them over in that discussion, which will exist someday, I am sure.

The Main Thread (with the schedule) is here.

The vocabulary list for Chapter 8 is here.

And how are you doing?

• I’m reading along
  • I’ve already gotten to this part, but I’m here for discussion.
  • I’m still reading, but I haven’t reached this part yet.
  • I’m dropping this book.

0 voters

1 Like

In the part where Nikaidou is at the sisters place and Akari is struck by the plumpness, it’s shown that Nikaidou resembles two people…The one on the right looks like Momotaro but who is the other character?

That would be 金太郎

3 Likes

I was smiling the whole chapter :laughing: My favorite panel: sangatsu8
the cats!! :rofl:

3 Likes

So cute! Like あかり, I’m 日海道派. I love how he talks funny, how he instantly took to Momo, his goofy over-earnestness. Best. Character.

1 Like

BTW, did anyone figure out what the title means?

It feels like Momo’s eyes were extra sparkly in this one. I didn’t take a liking to him the first time he appeared, but I see the appeal now :laughing:

As for the title, I had to look it up in the dictionary xD VS or versus ! I should’ve known though, I know I’ve encountered it somewhere before…

This is the beginning of the Chapter 9 discussion–but feel free to talk about chapters 7 and 8. too.

The Main feed (with the schedule) is here.

The Vocabulary Sheet is here.

There is a tiny smidge of Shougi at the beginning of the chapter, so here’s a link to my Guide to Shougi Pieces, if you want to interpret the board.

So, how’s it going?

• I’m reading along
  • I’ve already read this part, but I’m here for discussion
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

1 Like

Going well. :v: Don’t really have any language questions. Most confusion stems from the vagueness or rather the omitted topic etc I’m often too slow to realize. Oh, and of course the Shougi vocab, but otherwise it’s a nice read.
I really liked this week’s chapter! 3gatsu is always a big roller coaster of emotion, throwing you back and forth between cute scenes and sad background story.

1 Like

Time to start the last Chapter!

As usual, for your convenience, here is a link to the vocabulary spreadsheet
and the Main Thread
(with the schedule)

• I’m reading along
  • I’ve already read this part, but I’m here for discussion
  • I haven’t gotten to this part yet, but I’ll catch up
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

Not sure if I’m reading these right:
彼女の強さが余計に父にそうさせたのだと思う

I think it was her excessive strength that made father do that?
But why is it 余計

すべての面において彼女は嵐のように激しかった

" in all ways, she was fierce like a storm" is what I’m guessing, but I don’t know what 面において really means.

Ooooh, I am so mad at Rei’s 師匠/父!!! He’s really a crappy 師匠 if he can’t make use of 香子s fire! She may not be the best, but that doesn’t mean she can’t hold her own. I wonder if it’s a situation where he can only recommend one pupil?

I think that it is her strength that made father needlessly do that, which also explains why it is に. Although jisho states that even as adjective, 余計 is often followed by に :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The “aspect, facet, side” (6. Jisho definition) with the 全ての makes more sense to me, though. I don’t see why it would be her literal face when we just saw her behaving like a fierce storm by hitting Rei and walking outside the house in anger.

1 Like

I just caught up with chapter 9! Dang my heart maan :pleading_face:

Thank you Momo for being so cute though; I loved this panel so much haha
sangatsu9-1

5 Likes