Looking for recommendations for yuri manga around the same difficulty level as Yotsubato or Ruri Dragon

As far as I can tell the published manga volume is just the chapters published on Twitter, but in a convenient format (and allowing you to support the author, of course). Maybe there are some extras too, not sure about that.

So in theory you could read this for free on Twitter, though that may take some scrolling so I’m not sure that’s worth it over reading what’s been published so far elsewhere. Once you’re caught up it’s easy to keep up with though, just by following the author :slight_smile: releases are pretty frequent, every week or so I think

1 Like

How many chapters are on Twitter?

1 Like

Not sure, I’d have to count them, they don’t seem to be numbered :smile: Should be 51 chapters judging by counts I’m seeing elsewhere

They’re easy to recognise because of the green background though, and you can find them all under the media tab under the author’s Twitter. It definitely goes back to the first one from April 2022:

and that’s the same as the first chapter in the volume

3 Likes

This has a slight horimiya vibe to it. At least as far as I can tell

1 Like

Premise-wise, yeah, I can see that. Totally different vibe though.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if only the first ten are on there too. In any case, I don’t have a Twitter account, and per tech genius Elon’s recent changes that means I can’t access it. Honestly, even if all the chapters are there, I’d rather pay the creator $8 than make a Twitter account.

5 Likes

I guess I assumed yuri is sapphic romantic love. So in that case if the love between the women is platonic I don’t think it’s yuri. But I don’t know if that’s actually what yuri is or if it covers a broader/different meaning than just romantic love.

2 Likes

The term gets used kind of loosely. It basically depends on who you ask, for some people yuri is only romantic love but for other people they’ll use yuri for any kind of strong relationships between girls whether its sisterly love (not in a lewd way), senpai-kouhai type relationship, etc. I’ve even seen people refer to a lot of CGDCT shows as yuri nowadays (like K-on, GochiUsa, etc) but I personally use the term in the romantic sense. Recently I’ve seen more people just use the term “Girls Love” as the genre name when it comes to romantic relationships in order to make it less vague.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t say Yokohama is yuri at all.

1 Like

Oh ok! Thank you for explaining! Coming from the perspective of a sapphic woman myself I thought it was just the Japanese term for “wlw romance”. I’d heard about Girl’s Love but thought it was synonymous with yuri. Good to know though that there are different perspectives, that way I’m not setting myself up with false expectations going into a book. Personally I’ll still use it just in the romantic sense.

Now I’m wondering if I’d even personally consider my own rec above as yuri, I only mentioned it because it’s marketed as yuri and the protagonist seems to be a lesbian, but since I only read one volume for all I know the term is used loosely for that series.

3 Likes

Seems like it’s not considered yuri in the online databases, at least so far.

Having “lily” on the title just made me go, yeah that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just had a quick count because why not, and all 51 chapters on there - but yeah, I get what you mean, if I didn’t already have a Twitter account I definitely wouldn’t make one for this manga, and even though I do have a Twitter account I’m gonna chuck some money the author’s way anyway because I wanna support them

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming. Shame they aren’t all posted in Pixiv as well. Downside of buying the volumes instead of reading online is waiting for enough chapters to get released to warrant a volume, but it’s not like a read ongoing manga week to week anyway, so it’s fine.

1 Like

Heh. I’ve been watching Asteroid in Love this week, which is best described as “cute girls doing astronomy and geology”, and there’s still not even the slightest sign of the “in love” bit, aside from one girl who goes all

B5EE9F40-F9E3-4050-BE42-D3C486F61BFC

whenever any of the other characters are within arms’ length of each other.

5 Likes

So like 90% of Kirara series.

You can still use nitter I think to view all tweets.

I mean, there’s kissing involved, so I wouldn’t call it platonic either, but it’s a minor part of the plot (where I stopped reading, halfway through the series… I should keep going). My impression was that yuri focused on the romantic aspect instead of being any book where there’s a sapphic relationship somewhere.

2 Likes

No, the twitter API closed as well, so last time I checked nitter didn’t have access anymore either.
I also do not have a twitter account, so I just stopped checking it.

Hmm https://nitter.net/ at least still works for me. I don’t either have an account but use it to check links sent to me.

3 Likes

A woman of culture. :face_with_monocle: