LGBTQ+/GSRM Book Club! Currently Reading: はなものがたり 10/14-11/18!

Hi Guys! Welcome to the unofficial LGBTQ+/GSRM Book Club!

We use LGBT because it is better understood and visually grabs possible readers, but we also GSRM to be inclusive of all Gender, Sexuality, and Romantic Minorities, even the ones I don’t even know about. If you have a manga you want to read we probably have someone interested in reading it with you!

Currently Reading

はなものがたり

hana

Summary

Highly acclaimed by bookstore staff all over the country!
A manga about a grandmother who woke up to beauty that became a hot topic on Twitter!!

Hanayo, who lost her husband of many years.
Yoshiko is single and runs a cosmetics store.
Two people who have walked completely different lives meet, are attracted to each other, and get to know each other because of her grandmother’s present.

Next book has been chosen by one vote I think! We’re a very divided club as far as tastes go lol. Only one more than half of the voters to win. Starts 10/14 so order you books now if you need a physical copy!

Get started reading!

Read by~
第1話 10/20/2023 Pages 035
第2話 10/27/2023 Pages 063
第3話 11/04/2023 Pages 095
第4話 11/11/2023 Pages 127
第5話 11/18/2023 Pages End

はなものがたり Book Thread

Book Nominations:

Guidelines

I would like to appeal to the widest range of readers.

1. Keep the book short-ish.
  2. Keep it low intermediate if possible.
  3. Keep it safe for work please.
  4. Something to think about, we have a ton of different identities so I think it would be nice to be cognizent of stories read recently to open space of types of stories.

Past Nomination Post [Closed]

Next Book:

As はなものがたり comes to an end we can start talking about the next book. Start thinking and post possible books whenever. When ~probably~ start accepting nominations 11/4, voting 11/11, and the next book will be announced 11/18. There will then be a two week break before the next book starts.

Previous Book Threads:

しまなみ誰そ彼 (Sept 2023)

52 Likes

I already nominated it for the beginner book club a while ago, but I’d say the manga 不可解な僕のすべてを definitely fits that description :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! I will check it out! I knew I could count on y’all!

What’s the synopsis?

2 Likes

Japanese synopsis from the amazon page for the first volume of 不可解な僕のすべてを:

Summary

女子の制服を着て学校に通う高校生、もぐもはある日、カフェのアルバイトに誘われる。可愛い制服を着て働ける仕事に、最初は喜ぶもぐもだったが、このカフェが『男の娘カフェ』であることを知って…。キュートな絵柄でイラストレーターとしても活躍中の粉山カタが挑む、男の娘カフェで働く仲間たちの青春群像劇‼

And here’s the official English synopsis for the first volume(It’s not exactly the same as the Japanese one, but if anything the English synopsis is actually a bit more informative than the Japanese one):

Summary

Mogumo is a cute but lonely high school student who just wants a few loving friends. Fellow student Iwaoka Tetsu invites Mogumo to work at his family’s café for “cross-dressing boys,” but he makes an incorrect assumption: Mogumo is non-binary and doesn’t identify as a boy or a girl. However, Mogumo soon finds out that the café is run by LGBT+ folks of all stripes, all with their own reasons for congregating there. This touching manga explores gender, gender presentation, and sexuality from many different angles, including the ways people are pushed to conform in a world that doesn’t understand them…until the world begins to learn, one person at a time.

And aside from the synopsis,

there is also a preview of the first two chapters(in Japanese ) on pixiv :)

1: https://comic.pixiv.net/viewer/stories/48390
2: https://comic.pixiv.net/viewer/stories/48391

5 Likes

I bought that one in English. The quires were bound out of order, making it a bit of a puzzling read at times. I haven’t gotten around to going back to the bookshop to get a new copy.

Not… planning on reading it in Japanese. Just commenting. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’d recommend all the mangas by Ebine Yamaji. The mangaka is a lesbian herself and her work is very good. She’s quite well known in France - especially in the LGBTQ+ community - as several of her mangas have been translated here.
I enjoyed a lot “Love my Life”, “Indigo Blue”, “Sweet Lovin’ Baby”, “Free Soul”…
Definitely one of my favourites…

7 Likes

That sounds lovely!

2 Likes

If you HAD to pick and all time favorite?

1 Like

WELCOME, no problem lol.

1 Like

They are all very short one volume mangas. “Sweet Lovin’ Baby” is very charming, I’ll say…

3 Likes

Perfect. I’ll look that one up first!

1 Like

Or maybe “Love My Life” which is less sad…

1 Like

Oh, there’s also “Our Dreams at Dusk” by Yuhki Kamatani

3 Likes

I was going to say the name sounded familiar, but it’s even the same manga, lol.

Shimanami Tasogare.

4 Likes

What do you like about that one?

1 Like

This thread is mostly just recommendations at the moment and I’m living for it. I like the cover of this one!

1 Like

I read and really enjoyed 放浪息子 and やがて君になる. Both have some heavy topics (e.g. bullying, loss), but overall I think they classify as “wholesome”. I read a couple other random manga volumes, but none of the others were particularly good.

8 Likes

The only problem you might have with a themed book club is that the difficulty level may be unclear. Will you try to match the beginner book club by reading about one chapter per week?

3 Likes

I totally agree with you. I was worried about that specifically when it comes to vocab. I think the nominator will have to give a estimated difficulty level. Yes I would like to set an easy pace, and try to keep it as beginner friendly as possible. It might end up being more like intermediate… The subject matter is going to relegate most of them to intermediate level.

So shorter stories with longer chapter times?

2 Likes

At a certain point that’s not going to be a problem outside of fantasy/sci-fi and similarly complex genres. It really becomes more about pace I think. When I was a beginner, one chapter a week was a lot and I asked a lot of questions. Now as an intermediate reader, I can easily read multiple chapters a day. So to keep it at a beginner level I’d recommend to keep it as slice of life as possible and about one chapter a week.

2 Likes