Looking for a "weird Vocab" Explanation Resource

Hi,

im looking for a resource (book, website etc. doesnt matter) where i can look up explanations for those weird Jukugo words like for example 丁度 why is street+degree=exactly?

At least i hope there is some logic to those “weird vocabs” :sweat_smile: and i dont have to “just memorise it”

As im probably going to encounter a lot of these during WK i really would like a resource for that so that i dont have to ask for each individual word.

1 Like

Usually Jisho is good enough for me. You can see here that it has an outdated usage. It was previously written in a way that made more sense. Not sure what happened that changed it, but that’s not as important, imo. Could just be that they chose 丁 because it was a simple kanji with the same reading.

4 Likes

It doesn’t. 丁度 is an example of ateji. The 丁 is just being used for the reading not it’s meaning.

Wiktionary can be used if you want to see if it has such information about usage and etymology.

8 Likes

I’m sorry to tell you…

6 Likes

Thanks for the answers! While i use jisho on a regular basis i didnt think of looking at the Other forms for clues. I didnt think of Wiktionary either. I hope this will at least solve some confusion in the future. Usually i dont have a too hard time “just memorising” Words like this, but knowing the reason makes things easier ofc. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.