Looking for a good N2 study book

Hey everyone, I’d like to take the N2 either this session or the next one, I feel like I need to power a lot on vocabulary and grammar though. (Right now I’m about N3+)

Does anyone have a good recommendation ? I’d prefer one with english explanations although if there is a really good one only in Japanese that could be fine too!
I’d like to use a book rather than an online service, I’ve used Bunpro and Tae Kim’s site but I’d prefer to work with a book since I like adding my notes on paper.

If you guys have any interesting reads to recommend (just for fun and reading practice) they’re welcome as well !

1 Like

How about Shin Kanzen Master series?
I just started N2 books but N3 grammar and reading books were really good.

3 Likes

I liked Kanzen Master as well, although I think N2 stops adding the English explanations.

1 Like

I was using the Try! N3 book when I studied for … well … N3 (no surprises here :sweat_smile:) and so I am considering to continue with that series for N2. The Shin Kanzen Master books are also very good in my opinion but they are really dense, so I am planning to use them as a supplement as well, but not as my only resource.

1 Like

I took a look at the N2 grammar one, it seems pretty decent, thanks !
It’s lacking english explanations indeed… Having english (even a little) would save me a lot of time looking up translations so I’ll need to consider that if I’m going with it.
Not sure the vocabulary one is worth it’s price though. (from the few pictures I’ve seen)

1 Like

I’ll third the Shin Kanzen Master books. I went through the N2 grammar and reading books, and they worked well for me.

And yes, they’re all Japanese, no English explanation. Can double as reading practice.

2 Likes

Since I want to take the N2 test this summer as well (at least if it’s possible), I got both the Shinkanzen Master and Try! N2 grammar book just last week. Haven’t really worked with them yet but I had quick look inside them, the Try! book does provide short English explanations of the grammar points. Most of the book is in Japanese though but of course they know that your level isn’t on par with natives yet when you study those books, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it

2 Likes

I just looked up the Try! books, they have some english and there seem to be good reviews about the books so I’ll consider it ! I think having the book all in japanese is definitely doable but the explanations can be tough to understand and having a short sentence to explain in english means I don’t have to pull out my phone to look on a website or akebi, that’s a big plus for me !

Edit:By the way, I already have the 文化中級日本語 1 and 2 books (we use those in class), I’m not sure if they span up to N2 or not though. But they don’t have a crazy amount of grammar points inside so I assume they don’t or at least they’re not enough.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.