🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

August 16th

I watched 3 episodes of Teasing Master Takagi-san today.
Its been nice seeing the animated versions of the stories I’ve already read in the manga!
I would probably be able to follow it fairly well without english subs since the stories are already familiar, but my husband has been watching it with me so the english subs are necessary :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

11 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 8

8月16日
YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト , ep 1.

Just a short episode, I can’t handle more today.

The return of Nioh!! I’m curious to know how you find it now ever since we talked about it shortly some time ago :slight_smile: .

10 Likes

I almost forgot to do any listening today. Not really in the mood for it, but I snuck in a 9 min youtube video of two ladies talking about their type (in women). One of them likes 吉高由里子 and like…same?

吉高由里子

Heavily influenced by me absolutely loving her performance in 最愛 (which I still need to finish… :see_no_evil: )

12 Likes

August 16 :blossom: Home Post

Watched another episode of Digimon! Still a pretty chill time aside from random bursts of like military terminology? :joy: I figure I get about as much out of it as a child would probably figure out anyway so I’m not super worried about it, it’s just a fun time.

Oooh this is all good information, thank you!! I’ll definitely have to look into it more now that I have a better idea where to start :laughing:

11 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220817 :loud_sound:

Day LVII: Holy miso soup from the Squid God :squid:

NHK school vid.

Luminous squid presenter and the golden Squid God show you how to make the perfect miso soup. But magical squid powers are not all one needs to make the perfect miso.

Time to call in the miso professionals! This time the miso is so good it needs to be celebrated with mini-squid backup dancers.

Still pretty difficult! :melting_face:

I think I’ve gotten used to the yokai names and some of the historic names due to reading so much about them, but there’s still tons of info to take in. Weapons/armour have so many stat boosters and what not, and the game doesn’t pull any punches with kanji. If it was just static like reading a book I think it’d be manageable to go through it slowly, but since it’s a game I’m finding it impossible to take in that much Japanese in such short spaces of time. I suppose it’s good practice for fast recall though.

But it’s great when there is a small string of writing and you can read it and parse it without translating it into English, just know what it means, and it’s like YES.
(Though again, like with Pokemon and 十万ボルト!, my brain seems to like best to latch onto mostly impractical Japanese)

12 Likes

August 17th

Work has been super busy, and I’m a bit under the weather so I have the attention span of a goldfish tonight :smiley:
So today is another day where I only managed a tiny bit of listening - Something is still better than nothing though!
I listened to Episode 46 of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners, and understood everything, though I had to re-listen to one bit because my mind wandered and I didnt hear it!

(Home Post)

9 Likes

August 17 :blossom: Home Post

Just watched another episode of Digimon! A fun (?) new digimon showed up where I’m lucky to understand like 1 out of every 5 words he says lmao, I think that’s kinda the vibe though? It’s all good practice :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220818 :loud_sound:

Day LVIII: 秋田犬のこはるちゃん :dog2:

Watched the cutest video about dogs having a good time in an onsen, thanks to @DIO-Berry for sharing it in the dog thread!

This video was too cute I forgot that I was supposed to be learning Japanese from it.

11 Likes

Saw the One Piece movie today. That was my listening challenge. Did pretty well. Most of the movie was music so a lot of that went in one ear and out the other. But it was fun nonetheless.

9 Likes

This is incredible! Look at the wet fur :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

:headphones: Main Station :beach_umbrella:

So far, I’ve managed to listen to something every single day this month. I tried some more episodes of Sayuri Saying, this time just clicking on random episodes that fit in with how much time I had on hand. That method seems to work better for me, so I’ll probably stick with it when using that podcast as my resource.

I also watched the first part of Flavors of Youth on Netflix. It’s a co-production between two animation studios, one Japanese and the other Chinese. I tried so hard not to look at the Japanese subtitles, but it was practically impossible for me to understand without them. There’s very little dialogue, but most of the story is told with narration. It felt like listening to an audiobook, and I was wholly unprepared for that. I’ll likely go back and watch the rest of it sometime this weekend.

Today, I watched two things, both on YouTube: 三本塾’s episode on 「もの」and a vlog from Daily Japanese with Naoko. I’ve been subscribed to 三本塾 for a while now, but unfortunately he’s one of several Japanese YouTubers I subscribe to thinking, “I’m gonna watch all of their stuff!” and then proceed to not follow through… :sweat_smile: I quite like his style of explaining. I’ve been wondering for some time what the nuance with もの is, and I think he does a good job of highlighting how it’s used.

Daily Japanese with Naoko was a new find for me. I saw her video on the sidebar and decided to click on it. I really like her voice! I also love how explanations for what she’s saying pop up on the screen as she goes, plus she has hard Japanese subs. I spent most of the time just looking at her while she spoke, so even though the subs are there, I don’t think they’re distracting if you want to practice listening without them.

I don’t know how the rest of her videos are, but I did end up subscribing to her. I’ll try to make more of an effort to go through the Japanese YouTubers I follow. With how often I’m on that dang website, I might as well get more listening practice in. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

August 18th!

I watched The Bite size Japanese Podcast - Episode 2 today. I had subtitles on (in Japanese) but was able to mostly understand without looking at them which was exciting for me :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 8

8月17日

• YUYUの日本語ポッドキャスト , ep 2.

8月18日

• あの人の毎日 , ep 1.
  • The video of the doggo onsen posted.
  • The video from Daily Japanese with Naoko posted by @softlyraining .

Okay so I started this new podcast, あの人の毎日 , about… domestic chores :joy: . Hear me out. I was browsing new podcasts to see if anything caught my eye, and I discovered this one that seems to be about, well, housework. Not the most interesting topic, but I thought it would be laid back and nice. And indeed it was! The host talks really nicely, chill atmosphere and chill jazz piano in the background. The episodes are around 15 to 30 minutes usually so seems like the perfect time length to listen from start to end without pause. Overall a nice discovery that adds variety when I don’t feel like listening to many of them, it’s good to have more options. Also hope to learn a few tricks here and there and become the ultimate housework master :sunglasses: .

Indeed. I opened it out of curiosity… instantly hooked. :joy:

Same! That was a nice discovery, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

I suppose fast, fleeting text is much more difficult to parse, but in case there’s also text that stays on screen, you can use Game2Text. It’s what I use for FFXIV (and any game tbh), and it’s not perfect but it’s good enough, supposing the font is not terrible to parse. I often have to correct some kana errors but it usually (though not 100%) picks kanji accurately. I’m not sure if you play on PC though… I just realised.

Regarding difficulty I suppose it can get crazy, it must be full of cultural references that one must know. If I were to pick it up I’m sure I’d be so lost :joy: . Eventually though!

When the time comes I can ask Zakarius先輩 for guidance. Guide me in the ways of the yokai.

9 Likes

August 18 :blossom: Home Post

Watched another episode of Digimon today; the digimon I was struggling to understand before talked more and it’s just Kansai-ben actually :joy: makes sense, I haven’t really dealt with it in purely audio form before so yay new adventures! I think even just realizing that made it easier though, I have a better idea of what I’m looking for.

9 Likes

I started watching the movie Masquerade Hotel again. I’d tried watching it last year but it was a bit outside my reach back then with no JP subs. I’m about half an hour into it again and finding it a lot easier to follow, although one male guest I still haven’t the faintest clue what he was saying. It sounded like indignant harrumphing with a very heavy slur to his words. Otherwise I miss a phrase here or there, but overall I’m comfortable following what’s going on which is a good feeling. It’s nice to be able to see improvement as the further you get the harder it is to notice :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Aug 19, Fri of Week 8 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I have watched a few more episodes of Hunter x Hunter (EP.11-14), but I worry as much about efficacy. How much have I missed? What did I failed to learn? I did read manga Vol.2 along too, but some of the sentences will be “impossible to know by reading”, as there are differences between 1999 anime and current manga series.

I also watched 青春ブタ EP.3, and the first part of the series seems to end in 3 episodes. This one doesn’t have JP sub, but indeed, I can find subtitle files.

There was also another YouTube posted by DIO-Berry in CAT thread. While I can listen and understand, I might not pick up everything.

For now, I have collected a few series’ sub, so I can easily search across files. It might come handy later. Almost similar to ImmersionKit and Youglish, only that I have seen all I have collected and can rewatch at will.

It might be good as well to watch without sub, but study from sub; and that includes YouTube transcript, as long as it isn’t auto-generated.

8 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220819 :loud_sound:

Day LIX: :dog2: :dog2:

I’d like to find more videos on everyday interesting Japanese-life stuff like the doggo onsen, but searching anything non-super-specific in YouTube never really comes up with anything, just the “here’s a handful of vague videos that might be to do with the topic you’re searching for, but anyway you’re not interested in that really so here’s some videos that we recommend to watch that we know you’ll never ever want to watch, we’ll stick them on your homepage too even after you keep repeatedly clicking ‘not interested’ and ‘don’t recommend me this channel ever again’.” sooo… I kinda have to just wait until the algorithm magically suggests something interesting and Japanese.

THOUGH

Saying that I just typed in 犬 to see what would come up and here is a showcase of doggo:

(I had intended to find others but I ended up watching some more vids from this channel, there’s not really much audio, there is text so there’s that, it’s a really cute dog with a happy family so it was hard not to keep watching)

I’m on PS4, so I won’t be able to, there is the occasional furigana though. It’s more that the sheer volume of text to read is overwhelming, there’s a lot of loot, with a lot of different effects that you sift through looking for just the right booster you’re looking for… in Japanese this is just ridiculous to try and do :melting_face:

(If I get chance to play later I’ll get a screenshot)

Not too sure on how good that guidance will be :rofl:
But do feel free to ask anything, I’ll try and help and go on and on about how cool yokai are

This channel looks interesting! I’ll remind myself to give a video a watch at some point, thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

Continued watched Masquerade Hotel, about an hour in now. I’m getting kind of bored which is making my comprehension slip as my mind wanders.

I also found this, which seems to be French but there’s Japanese narration mixed in: 【映画紹介】宇宙人のおもちゃになった人間たち - YouTube

9 Likes

It’s Alien Language, of course :joy_cat:
(no you’re right, the aliens speak French. Very cute, thanks for finding it! Now I can tick two listening boxes at once :grin:)

3 Likes

August 19th!

I was very short on time this evening, so just a tiny bit of listening. Episode 47 of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.
I can definitely feel the improvement in my listening comprehension since starting this challenge :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

10 Likes