Level up banner...just staying?

So I assume this is a bug since I saw the answer about could you get the banner back after seeing it the initial time.

I got the level up banner a few days ago and ever since it’s just…there taking up space.

Got the banner late since I leveled up on an app, kind of assumed I just wouldn’t see it but it appeared when I went on the website and then just never left.

Clicking the X in the upper right to dismiss it doesn’t make it go away permanently? Or rather, until your next level.

3 Likes

whooops…I’m a dummy, I totally didn’t see that and I had read that you can’t get it back so I just assumed it disappeared when you reloaded the page. Feel like a idiot lol

4 Likes

That’s a fair assumption, though. Why would the banner stay when you reload the page? You’ve loaded the page, the banner was shown, on the next load the banner shouldn’t be there anymore.

1 Like

I have the same issue, but clicking the x brings me to a blank page called “level_up_alert”. It’s just white with nothing on it. When I go back to the homepage, the banner is still there :confused:

3 Likes

Same here: https://www.wanikani.com/level_up_alert

Looks like it’s just giving me a 404

3 Likes

@Snowbudy @jeffbliss

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble–do either of you happen to be using scripts or Firefox? I ask because scripts may interfere in unknown ways and the latest version of Firefox has some known bugs some users are experiencing.

In either case, can you see if the problem persists when trying on a different browser?

5 Likes

Could you elaborate what those bugs are?

1 Like

I have the same problem, and I’m using scripts and Firefox. Closing it in Chrome works fine.

1 Like

Yeah looks like it’s a Firefox thing. Worked as expected in Chrome.

1 Like

Looks like FireFox Developer Edition 116.0b8 (64-bit) works, but a private instance of FireFox 115.0.2 (64-bit) doesn’t when removing the level-up banner.

Any ideas what is causing this? More out of interest than anything because it could be a security setting on my side.

1 Like

I believe this thread is a summation of the issue from Mozilla’s end–I’m not a developer myself, so I can’t speak to the specific interactions.

@WeebPotato, that thread should also answer your question. If you were asking what issues folks were seeing from the WaniKani end, most seemed to revolve around the IME no longer working or displaying some otherwise weird behavior. The issues resolved when either downgrading their version of Firefox or switching to a different browser.

3 Likes

Cheers - yes, using a different Firefox version “fixes” the issue - hopefully they’ll get it sorted in the next update. It might explain some other weird things I’ve been seeing in the past couple of days.

1 Like

I’m using Chrome.
The banner used to not be an issue, but for some reason, today it is

I can’t find the x that closes it…

Update: It seems, the button is still there, but has become invisible:

Luckily, being invisible doesn’t stop it from working, so I managed to close the banner. But still, it’s a weird bug :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone. I made a ticket for engineering to look into this.

2 Likes

Throwing my two cents into the ring, I like that I’m able to keep it up / close it at will, instead of it vanishing automatically after a certain time or even after just reloading the page once.
Makes the level up feel more impactful to me.

4 Likes