Level information, for a price, could be made comprehensive

Put together a compendium for each level:

1. Each illustrative sentence could be as fully rendered in kanji as possible. Where modern Japanese drops a character and uses the syllabary, note that.
  2. Full audio of each example sentence could be given; male/female/politeness/age variations that are particularly important.
  3. Any noteworthy grammatical or phrase issues in an illustrative sentence commented on.
  4. Full English renderings/Japanese transliterations of each illustrative sentence: both literal translations and smooth English.
  5. Possibly handwritten examples in several styles, newspaper style for familiarization, spoken style with any noteworthy differences.
    6 and etc. that could add details you, in fact, might have in mind.

Patial illustration-by-example: Saiji wo kiwameru wa kampeki e no michi. Details__to master__perfection__to the way. To master details is the way to perfection. It is in mastering details that one may reach perfection. {Example drawn from the Vaccariā€™s Brush Up Your Japanese, 3rd Ed., Tokyo, 1969.}

Would I pay a significant premium for such an optional addendum? You bet I would. ā€œIt is in mastering details that one may reach perfection.ā€ You have the linguists. Most of this is just librarian detailing of what is already in your heads. Would some of them like to form a side-job team? Do an ā€œEdition 1ā€ trial with Level 4 and see if you hit money. Possibly you could crowd-fund this through the Wankers you already have. Or solicit venture startā€“up funding from them. Sort of a hot-spring bubbling up ever-more Japanese.

1 Like

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, butā€¦

Iā€™m not sure if you meant that, or you wanted to write wanikaners or something along the line :flushed:

29 Likes

This sounds nice in a vacuum, and Iā€™m sure Koichi knows that he could spend more money to make the site better, but thereā€™s an element of trying to avoid mission creep.

This is a kanji learning site. Your suggestions would make this a better ā€œgeneral Japanese learning siteā€ but thatā€™s not the goal that Koichi created it with in mind.

That aside, Iā€™m not really sure what this complaint is getting at.

4 Likes

Take a look at satorireader.com, that site offers basically what you want, just not tailored to the kanji you learn here. Although you can import your progress from WaniKani and customize your reading experience.

2 Likes

Mr. Craburn is one of the writers I tend to look for. He gives posters thoughtful consideration and his replies have bearing on on what he has read.
Added example: a level 7 sentence refers to ā€œfood samplesā€; this is rendered ā€œshishokuā€. ā€œShokuā€ is given the expected kanji, the ā€œshiā€ is not, although Kenkyusha uses the character for ā€œtestā€, RTK #354. Mine is not a complaint so much as an observation that where there is a ready character to fully express ā€œfood sampleā€, it should be used.

Leebo
James Craburn

March 7

This sounds nice in a vacuum, and Iā€™m sure Koichi knows that he could spend more money to make the site better, but thereā€™s an element of trying to avoid mission creep.

This is a kanji learning site. Your suggestions would make this a better ā€œgeneral Japanese learning siteā€ but thatā€™s not the goal that Koichi created it with in mind.

That aside, Iā€™m not really sure what this complaint is getting at.

Satori Reader has been mentioned but as for the WaniKani team, there is etoeto.com which is still in closed alpha. Thatā€™s more the kind of thing youā€™re talking about. Maybe.

WaniKani is a tool that does one job.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.