Level 60 endzone spike

Level 60 in (only) 4 years. No, I didn’t think it would take this long.

やっぱり僕は凡人だ。それ以上きつい仕事をするし、子供の養育をするし、勉強の時間は少なっていた。何しろ鰐蟹をおわってくると感じがいい。もしお宅もたくさん責任があって進歩は遅いなら、頑張ってください。

After job, kids and other responsibilities doing wanikani was a low-priority activity which suffered numerous forced long suspensions. At one point my review queue got over 1000. Things that helped: vacation mode, limiting lessons to 10/day, forcing myself to respond within a few seconds to each item rather than straining a long time to remember. Fail fast and keep going.

At the very beginning I looked forward to reading Japanese soon. I found I was able to painfully work through NHK easy around level 30, but did not become relatively comfortable reading juvenile (e.g. 6th grade level science & history) material until around level 50. I look forward to migrating my study time away from WK to reading and listening.

78 Likes

good job :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’m really far away from lvl 60 and i can’t believe that i’m in struggle with my 100 review per day :sweat_smile: :joy:
But congratulation ^^

4 Likes

Congratulations!! :confetti_ball: :tada: :partying_face:

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations

It is OK to be slow. Everyone has his own pace that works for him. Trying to go too fast results in burn out.

1 Like

Congratulations :crabigator:

2 Likes

That’s very motivating! I’ve had my ups and downs. I stopped wanikani for an entire year at level 16, but I’m back. I had to reset to level 3 coz I didn’t remember anything beyond that. And now I’m level 15 again :slight_smile: Looking forward to level 60.

1 Like

3 Likes

Congrats my friend! I can identify with you… I guess I am also much older than the average wanikaner here so there are a lot of other responsibilities above the daily reviews to take care of. That being said, progress is slow but steady!
I Am currently at level 25 and have been reading NHK easy with relatively ease. I suggest everyone wanting to start reading to use Manabi reader app.

1 Like

Congratulations, I don’t even imagine how hard it was

bow hinata haikyu

Congratulations rumplestiltskin-先輩! I wish you all the best in furthering your language journey.
:nerd_face::steam_locomotive:
keep chugging along despite your WK migration!

1 Like

Thanks! Good luck to you and everyone else past ordinary student age.

The available tools have gotten better since I started WaniKani. I just discovered the rikaikun chrome extension which makes reading any Japanese much easier.

They have gotten better for sure! I can only imagine the struggle of learning Japanese 10 years ago.

Tell me about it. I started in 2017. When I get to level 10 I will have effectively been on level 9 for 3 years.

A litte bit like me already 4 years member, almost 3 years I did shit, now I try to level up atleast 3 times a month to reach lv60 next year.

1 Like

Let’s do this! I’m starting level 2 tomorrow after a 3 year break. This time I’m not stoping at level 9.

Feel free to give a read to my guide for Wanikani :slight_smile: I’m sure it has lots of useful information for your new journey on wanikani.

2 Likes

I’ve read it already! It was very helpful, sobering and useful at the same time. I’m focusing on conversation practice with my tutor so I want to sprint to 30 and then SLOW WAY DOWN. Your stats on the waning usefulness of level 30-60 was important to read. I don’t want to get to 60 and not have learned the grammar necessary to use that knowledge. My plan is level 30 in 30 weeks, and then slow almost in half to down the remaining 30 levels in another year.

Now I just need to get out there and do it. Talk is cheap!

1 Like

Thanks for the shout - I’m Manabi Reader’s author. Please let me know if you have any feedback, it’s a work in progress!