Level 21 before 2021!

Its going good :smiley:
For some reason I thought that I had done the Kanji lessons for this level but I forgot to do them lol :sweat_smile:
I usually leave the vocabulary to have spread out over a couple days or so.
Looks like it might be a little longer level this level.

3 Likes

I’m totally in. I keep going too hard and then burning out. Hopefully going slower will stop that from happening.

1 Like

That’s my story too. Go too hard and burn out. The good thing about WaniKani is that you have to actually learn your stuff before you can level up. That suits me perfectly. Going slower helps too.

2 Likes

Hey fellow humans! Might I join you in the quest for level 21?

I took the liberty to add you all to my Leaderboard. I also agree that 10 to 14 days seem like a good speed to go forward. :slight_smile: In this way I I am never getting overwhelmed by reviews or new lessens each day. I am now at a steady pace of roughly 100 reviews max per day, which seems very reasonable. I just reached level 5 today btw! :confetti_ball:

One lesson I learned for myself is to try to do the lessons for the radicals pretty much directly after reaching a new level, while postponing the Kanji lessons to some hours later or the next day (same goes for vocabs). In this way even 60 or 80 lessons become very manageable without delaying the schedule for reaching the next level. :slight_smile:

みんなさん!一緒に頑張って年末まで21レベルに上達しましょう!
(Please correct me if incorrect.)

2 Likes

Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here!

Where is this leaderboard? I would love to see who else is around the same level as me!

That’s what I’m trying to do too. I also try not to do more than 20 lessons per day. When I got to level 6 I did 40 lessons the first day, and now my retention is so bad. When I level up the next time I’ll try to do the new radicals the first day and not too much else, keeping the number of lessons for the day around 20. Luckily the next levels don’t have that many radicals (27 on level 5, 21 on level 6, 18 on level 7 and 13 on level 8).

Do you use a script to get to the radicals first? Until now I have resisted installing the lesson reorder script. I actually like to learn new vocab and don’t want to put it off for too long. At the same time, I want to get to the new radicals as soon as possible when I level up. Trying to find a balance there.

1 Like

[Userscript] Wanikani Leaderboard

For the lessons I guess the radicals come first automatically (unless you have some leftover vocabulary from the last level), so I was not really too tempted to install it yet. I was rather thinking about this script where you can correct your typos, but I am also a bit afraid that I would overuse it in the end. For now I just use the leaderboard, timeline and heatmap script. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is the current leaderboard. We can post it weekly?

5 Likes

Hello! I would love to join and aim for level 21 by the end of the year. To be honest I am planning on aiming for a lot higher than 21 by the end of the year but I would still like to join everyone and post when I do hit 21 :smiley: Good luck everyone we can do this!

6 Likes

Thank you! I’ll add you to the leaderboard too!

1 Like

Welcome! There are about 35 weeks left of the year, so if you do one level per week, you could get close to level 40 by the end of the year. Even if you do two weeks per level, you can still reach higher than level 21. Good luck to you too, and we can all still do this!

2 Likes

Ooooo! I’ll join this! :smiley: I kinda doubt I’m gonna make it cause I’m averaging over 20 days per level, but I’ll give it a shot!

4 Likes

I’m in! My pace is like 2 levels per month, so I think if I have consistence and a good methodology I can do it.
I started level 7 4 days ago, but I had a loooot of vocabulary pending so I really started with kanjis from level 7 yesterday.

2 Likes

This is such a lovely thing and a great goal! I agree that often it feels like there’s a pressure to get ahead as fast as physically possible, in spite of burn out or having a life outside of these studies. A nice attainable goal that you don’t have to burn out to get to sounds perfect. Count me in!

5 Likes

@Katzallie, @Ricardinyo and @Victor866, welcome, all of you! I’m so glad you’re here!

It should be an attainable goal, not too hard but also not too relaxing. I hope to see all of you on level 21 or higher by New Year’s Eve!

5 Likes

cool idea! :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

I’m joining you!!
We can do it!!

8 Likes

Welcome! We can do it!

4 Likes

oh wow! this is great… but i also feel like it is a competition now with the leader board. :see_no_evil:

I have been very slow the last few weeks. due to mixing up the vocab i got my apprentice level items down to 50. did new lessons only when i was below that and only max 15 a day ( unless radicals, i usually due them all at one). Anyway, i was creeping along. level 8 took me 31 days :crazy_face:

I have now increased the tempo. back to about 100 apprentice items. I hope i am back on track now!

3 Likes

Hey there, I’ll try to join it too! I feel like I’m slower than average when it comes to levelling up and that’s because I am hesitant to start new lessons until I’m sure I’m familiar with the older ones. And because uni + voluntary projects are keeping me super busy. I study Japanese to give my brain something that isn’t related to coding or binary :pray:t3:

Good luck to us!

6 Likes

Welcome! We can do it!

2 Likes