Let's learn Japanese with Shoma Uno!

Hi everyone! OK, the title is more than a bit silly, but I’m using it to introduce a series of ads that are now running in Nagoya featuring the visage of figure skater (and Nagoya native son) Shoma Uno. The product is a body gel that claims to give you a “hot body” with no real effort other than rubbing the gel on your belly. Worth a try!

I thought it was worth posting, because the ads are quite short with easy to read graphic design, and they give a good chance to practice reading kanji taught on WaniKani. Also, they aren’t exactly easy to translate (some more than others), but they’re kind of funny once you do.

I’ll post the ads, with a blurred (rough) translation so you can see how far you get. I consulted with my resident expert to get decent translations.

HOTけない is a pun on ほっとけない (not leave you alone). So the ad means (roughly) “let’s get a body that won’t be ignored”

(roughly) “The thing that melts in the heat of summer is not your fat but your will to change.”

(roughly) “Even if you walk the full length of this long ad, you’ll only use up 3 calories.”

(roughly) “Why not apply it [the gel] with the hand that’s not carrying your smartphone?”

(roughly) “Because Nagoya has so many good things to eat”

(roughly) “‘I’ll start doing it tomorrow’ is a frequently forgotten resolution”

(roughly) “Even though I don’t ask for it, the snack I am given has zero calories” This one is worth explaining a little more. So the first part (頼んでもないのに) is easy: “Even though I don’t ask for it”. The next bit (差し入れが) is trickier: 差し入れ in this case refers to a snack or food that is given or presented to someone.

(roughly) “We welcome your purchase even as a last resort.” 駆け込み is like a last minute rush, or something tried out of desperation, and お買い求め is the way a polite merchant might refer to a customer’s purchase.

(very roughly) “If you go no-carb too much, do you also go no-will?”

(roughly) “This summer, be careful of sweet words and sweet things.” (probably a satire on general public safety warning ads)

(roughly) “Let’s change first impressions.” (with a pun on 塗り替える because while that phrase means “to remake or redo”, 塗る is also what you do with the product: you apply it to your body.)

(roughly) “You’re thinking to yourself: 'it’s still not at the point where I’ll actually go to the gym” (行くほどじゃない means “not (yet) at the point of going.”)

(roughly) “I think ‘gel training’ is simpler than ‘gym training’.”)

So that’s all! Did you understand all of them or any of them or none of them?

15 Likes

Also, you can watch the accompanying TV commercial for the product which is more than a little weird:
https://players.brightcove.net/4409728633001/HyVC2urXQ_default/index.html?videoId=6058238421001&muted

2 Likes

Sezme主将様:
Thank you for sharing lots of very useful expressons! 大変勉強になります!
I gave in to temptation and clicked the blurred parts…doh! Maybe it’s waking up from my jet-lagged haze at the moment but if I am not mistaken, your “rough
translation” of “sugar free” might also be translated as “low carbs” which you see everywhere these days with low carb diets, be it in Japan or in the West.

セズミ様のぼやけている訳・解説に見ちゃったら、消費量はたった1kcal! (笑)
冗談をさて置き,おっしゃる通りの"rough translation" 最後から5番目の『糖質オフ。。。』“sugar-free” より現在日本社会にも、欧米にも、よく使われている"low carbs"の意味に近いではないでしょうか?

1 Like

This was great, thanks so much! I wasn’t able to read all of the text – only little bits here and there, so I had to rely a lot on the translations. I’ll go and watch the ad now!

Edited to add: just watched the ad – er, what was that?? Anyway, it’s not such a bad thing to imagine this handsome chap skating all over my tummy!

3 Likes

Always love seeing kanji in the wild. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Haha. I’m the first to admit I’m not up on Japanese diet trends, and neither is the resident expert. But yes absolutely you are right (I learned after poking around Google for a bit). It seems that as keto diets have increased in popularity in the west, so have 糖質オフdiets gained popularity in Japan. Basically the same thing.

Also I learned today that toushitsu.jp exists and the person behind that site says that as far as the definition of 糖質:でんぷんです。(it’s starch)

So yes, you’re absolutely right: 糖質オフ is better translated as no carb. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll update the (rough) translation!

2 Likes

笑笑!糖質オフだけどやる気オン!

1 Like

I’m just amused at how you took all these photos. Anyone who saw you must have thought you were a super fan instead of someone who was doing it for the kanji. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

No, I just stole the photos from Japanese twitter. The resident expert is a Shoma obsessive fan, so I’m constantly aware of all things Shoma-related.

And I’m not currently in Japan anyway. But when I spend time there, I do frequently take photos of interesting ads, and people no doubt think I’m weird. (They’re not wrong!)

4 Likes

2 Likes

These ads are great, and 宇野 昌磨 is adorable. :slight_smile:

And yes, totally weird commercial.

2 Likes

The most difficult translation is why a professional athlete who burns loads of calories daily needs hot body gel :thinking:

They would have a better ad campaign with one of us: “Get your eight hours of study with the :crabigator: and your eight pack with DHC hot body gel” and put it on a billboard. A bit of a limited audience for those using WK in Nagoya though :laughing:

2 Likes

Some more information on 差し入れ (さしいれ) because I think it deserves some explanation. This is courtesy of the resident expert (aka my wife).

So apparently the reason that 差し入れ is used to refer to food at all is that originally it meant to insert a meal or something else in the slot of a jail cell. 入れる means to insert which is pretty straightforward. But 差す has 16 definitions listed in my dictionary. Let’s just go with to raise for the sake of simplicity. So that gets us to a verb meaning to raise and insert. But 差し入れ is a noun. Because the action has come to stand in for the item. Sort of the way we might say, “I’m going to get some take-out” In English.

But the most common usage of 差し入れ these days is not food given to a prisoner. Rather it’s food or drinks given to someone too busy to get it for themselves, like at school or if you’re working late. You could take a 差し入れ to your coworker at her desk, but wouldn’t take food as a gift to someone’s house and call it a 差し入れ.

Apparently even some Japanese people get confused over the distinction between お土産 (おみやげ) souvenir and 差し入れ. But if you bring something home from your trip, it’s not a 差し入れ.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining 差し入れ!

A quick distraction, I love Nagoya food:Hitsumabushi, Misonikomi Udon and of course Misokatsu :yum:

1 Like