:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route 🐢

Made it to level 27 after thirteen days! I’m also on lesson 22 of Minna no Nihongo, so I have just four more chapters left of the first beginner’s textbook before I move on to the second! I’m pretty excited for that.

Miraculously, I actually managed to catch up on the 大海原と大海原 book club, just in time for the last chapter! However, I have some DDT translations to do, haha, and I suspect that might set me back a little :sweat_smile:, but I’m going to try to finish the book by the time I’m supposed to!

6 Likes

this is so wonderful and lovely ! you’ve found a routine that makes learning stress-free and a natural part of your life now :sparkles: so cool !

i think about this all the time haha i am so grateful i did this too (my partner at the time and i gifted eachother lifetime subscriptions for christmas). in the moment it’s a big expense but when you think about how many hours we spend using wk it’s sooo worth it – and buying lifetime ensures no time pressures or stresses :hatching_chick: :yellow_heart:

7 Likes

recently posted in the 0:0 challenge but I wanted to post in here too to keep me accountable. I’m nearing my first full year of wk. I’m only lvl 8 and that has me feeling a little anxious BUT i’ve made it to 0:0! I can do it! I want to reach lvl 10 before it’s been a full year. I’ve got a couple of months and if I stay at it like i have been recently I’ll make it. Life had me in it’s grips last year and I had to put wk on pause but I’m back and I’m steadily, consistently, making my way!

7 Likes

Welcome back, and congrats on 0:0! Steady, consistent progress is no small feat. :tada:

4 Likes

made it to level 18 this evening and today is also day 100 of doing wanikani every day ! (^▽^)

5 Likes

Level 28! Took just under fourteen days. I’m on lesson 23 of MNN, and also just started reading the third volume of 大海原と大海原 along with the book club. It’s a little intimidating because it’s aimed at a much older audience than the first two, so I accidentally graduated out of children’s manga with furigana a little earlier than expected :sweat_smile:. But I’ve been able to read it so far!

8 Likes

Day 35 on level 11 (does that get me a durtling award?); but I’m watching the number of kanji I’ve passed increasing, finally, after the initial radicals got out of the way (now at 20 out of 35), so it’s not hopeless. The end is in sight. :wink:

5 Likes

Still chugging along. I hit level 33 today. This is the most consistent my leveling has ever been. My wkstats graph always looked so wild, but now it’s shaping up quite nicely.

10 Likes

I just hit level 12 late yesterday and it is a little sad how happy I still am about it. 48 days on level 11, and for the last three days I was just ONE kanji away from the end of the level… :+1:

8 Likes

Congrats on level 12!!

3 Likes

Made it to level 29! I’m getting so close to leaving the Death levels. I spent almost fourteen days on level 28.

I’m also really close to finishing the first Minna no Nihongo book! I’m on lesson 25 right now, which is the last lesson in the first beginner’s book. I should be finished by the time I level up again!

7 Likes

Got through the lessons of all the level 9 vocab, so although I’ve appeared as level 10 since January, I’ll finally start those radicals next lesson :laughing:

6 Likes

Is it still possible to sign up for the scenic route? I’ve finally reached level five, 5 days ago, and haven’t had a single lesson of that level. I still have sooo many vocab lessons from level 4 (around 95 lessons unlocked right now). It will probably take me a month alone to get through those lessons … That probably qualifies me, right?

12 Likes

It’s never late to join The Path

5 Likes

Always! The scenic route never closes :durtle_noice:
Any level and any speed lower than full speed qualifies.
Full speeders can still jog by our path to say hello too, all is welcome here to help guide the way and share each other on.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone up thread here recommends ordering your lessons by “level, then shuffled”. I would recommend this as well. It won’t help you now, but it means you don’t spend days wading through vocab*, and brings the gap between level up, and first new level kanji together. (I don’t know why but I find that period quite depressing)

*I often find the vocab lessons the hardest, YMMV, in which case this means you will spread out your least favourite bits. Conversely I personally find radicals the easiest, and it spreads those out as an occasional treats.

3 Likes

I have finally finished level 10, and am officially in the “painful” levels. This level was slow for me, because I took a fairly substantial break from lessons during it, to allow me to focus on other things, not least focusing on some persistent leeches.

This level saw me get to 0-0 for the first time since the introductory levels, and also during this level I passed my Wanikanivversary.

Looking forward to level 11, I have already done some of the lessons from this level. Amazingly I only had one lesson left from level 10 to complete - 漢字! All round 気持ちいい.

8 Likes

it’s not sad at all!! happiness and pride and a sense of achievement are the fun necessary bricks that build and support the castle of language learning :star2: :european_castle: :brick: is that a weird analogy haha congrats on level 12 and beating that one kanji that lingered for the last 3 days!!

@OwenDG happy wanikanivversary! :birthday: (and a 0-0 to celebrate it that’s awesome!)

4 Likes

Made it to level 20 this evening (❁´◡`❁) feeling happy and emotional :tiger: also, similar to what @Deenarrhea was saying (and wow what a pretty looking graph your wkstats are shaping up to be!), my levelling up has become much more consistent and i feel like i’ve found a good routine and rhythm for myself at this point in time! all in all i’m feeling happy with japanese atm which is all you can ask for :yellow_heart:

6 Likes