:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Day 34 on level 12 and I got so happy to see that Iā€™ve passed two of the kanji now. :grin: I think I must have something set wrong in my options, or Iā€™m just doing too many reviews. But hey, Iā€™m burning old items at a decent rate, so itā€™s all good.
cecil2

3 Likes

From my experience, the difficulty did ramp up in the 20s. I noticed it most in the early 20s, but itā€™s hard to say whether thatā€™s because those levels specifically were harder, or if the 20s just had a noticeable difficulty jump that I just got used to after that, or I just had more going on in my life then that made WK harder. The worst level for me was the one with all of the law words (23, I believe?) :sweat_smile:. Iā€™ve heard 25 was also one that people found particularly hard, but I donā€™t personally remember it as being worse than the others.

4 Likes

I think @fallynleaf is making a good general point (Iā€™d say overall having more similar kanji in mind has made the Wanikani process a little increasingly taxing as time goes), but for most people there does seem to be something about level 21 thatā€™s particularly hard as well. I recall seeing a thread on most difficult level where several people cited it and, well, hereā€™s my own experience so far:

Level difficulty

4 Likes

interesting, interestingā€¦ :memo: :durtle_megane: (takes notes)

Iā€™m looking forward to those levels a little. I want to learn synonyms so I can study two vocab words at the same time.

4 Likes

ty @fallynleaf + @Daisoujou for sharing (āĀ“ā—”`ā) itā€™s comforting hearing iā€™m not alone in this feeling :cherry_blossom: and i am for sure already struggling with words with similar meanings as u both highlight aha ā€“ iā€™ve heard many people talk about the flurry of law words ahaha so rn i feel like iā€™m running at WK waiting for it to HIT:

Mulan - The Avalanche - Flemish HD on Make a GIF

is the Y axis the level of difficulty you found for each level?

6 Likes

Yes! Itā€™s an additional part of the workload graph that shows accumulated error percentage per level. Thereā€™s a clear spike in level 21 that used to be even more pronounced for me.

3 Likes

i :clap: love :clap: API scripts :clap::clap: (hehe thanks for sharing another to add to my growing collection)

v interesting; if Iā€™m understanding the graph correctly, firstly, damn i have a high error percentage oops how embarrassing haha secondly, it seems my accuracy is better than it was in the åæ« levels ? strange

4 Likes

Happy to help!

I think itā€™s common for error percentage to build up over time because those later enlightened and burn reviews can be pretty tough, and the influence of recurring leeches will build up the more you fail them, so if you watch it over time, itā€™ll probably even out.

4 Likes

Youā€™ve started burning those levels. The last review to burn tends to have the lowest accuracy and it affects the average! The coloring is meant to explain such jumpsā€¦

4 Likes

Talk about durtling the scenic route, I finally leveled up to level 45 the other day after squints at writing on hand 59 days! If you think thatā€™s impressive, itā€™s actually over twice as fast as the previous level! :partying_face:
And my fastest level since level 40!! :partying_face:

My only regret is that I only bought lifetime this past holiday sale. :sob:

7 Likes

This is a bit late, but thank you for the advice! It helped keeping me motivated. I finally made it to level 6 today (took ā€˜onlyā€™ 37 days)!! :smiley: And 170 unlocked lessons ahead of me!

9 Likes

Hello here!
After lurking on this topic for a while, I finally thought I could contribute and share my joy, because I just burnt my first radical today ; o;
Definitely intimidating to see how fast some people go, Iā€™m glad thereā€™s this community of people who just take it one step at the time :smiley:
I started 6 months ago and Iā€™m level 8 now, so an average of 21 days per level so far \o/

11 Likes

Iā€™ve been lurking for a while as well, and youā€™ve encouraged me to join in. I have never raced, but at about level 30 found I was spending way more time on WK than I wanted to, and stopped doing lessons altogether for a few months. I kept up the reviews religiously, and got my apprentice down to below 50, although it still fluctuates up with missed reviews. I only do 5 lessons a day now, and only when the number of reviews due for the next few days is well below 100. This is a very scenic way to do WK, but has made it really enjoyable, with no pressure, and I feel I am really consolidating the kanji now. And then they added the ā€œpractice recent mistakesā€ and ā€œpractice recent lessonsā€ options. Even more scenic. I love it, and feel I am making real progress, rather than just rushing to 60.
Good luck to all those on the scenic route, and ä¹¾ęÆ to life balance.

14 Likes

Into level 12 now! 23 lessons left from 11, so it will take me a few days before I even start doing level 12 lessons. Iā€™m at a good even pace right now and I am seeing vocab Iā€™ve already learned, which must mean something is going right in my activity elsewhere. It is really satisfying when I get a new Kanji and I can learn it through reference to the vocabulary I already know.

Welcome new scenic route folk!

6 Likes

I think I figured something outā€“if I do 5 lessons before starting reviews, I chip away at a level much more quickly than if I try to do all the reviews before doing any lessons. I suppose that was obvious, but yā€™knowā€¦

5 Likes

Congrats! :tada:

Welcome new friends! Enjoy the views :sparkles: :sunrise_over_mountains:

6 Likes

got to level 23 this morning ! lately, iā€™ve been seeing a huge amount of enlightened items in my reviews and so many of them iā€™ve got wrong. when they go back down to guru, at first, it feels a bit tragic haha but then i remind myself the goal is to genuinely know the words not just to pass WK as quickly as possible

so hereā€™s to the other side of scenic-route-durtling: acceptance of retaking the route over and over again until you really know it

disney-winnie-the-pooh

for the record, this is also something i only realized today :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: but hey better late than never!

9 Likes

Made it to level 32! Took a little over 14 days. Itā€™s been a busy level for me, so I didnā€™t get as much reading and textbook study done as I would have liked (and my main study log post will be a bit late :sweat_smile:), but I did get through lesson 27 of Minna no Nihongo and finished another translation.

The spring read every day challenge just started, so I signed up for that and inadvertently started a bit of a trend haha where a bunch of us are trying to read something in another language in addition to Japan every day. So Iā€™m going to be spending a little more time reading in Spanish as well, hopefully!

6 Likes

Congrats on your level up, and yay reading challenge! Thisā€™ll be my first time joining. Iā€™ll keep in eye out for you in-thread!

6 Likes

Itā€™ll be fun to have you! The thread is a nice little community of people. Itā€™s a blast to follow along with it :blush:. Unfortunately I donā€™t really post much about my reading in there haha because I post my updates in the pro wrestling thread instead :sweat_smile:. But I do read everyone elseā€™s posts, and occasionally chime in with updates and comments.

7 Likes