:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route 🐢

Hey fellow Durtlers, I have a tip for those who might not know about it (sorry if this has been suggested already, I haven’t had time to read the whole thread):
If you go into the User menu on the main site (your icon in the upper right corner), and then select Settings > App, among the various settings there is one called Lesson ordering. If you change it to Ascending level then shuffled, I personally think that’s the ‘best’ basic setting (without requiring any plugins/addons) for Durtling the Scenic Route. Here’s why I think that:

• With the default ordering, “Ascending level then subject”, you’ll get all your radicals first, then all your kanji, and finally all your vocabulary. This puts you ‘on the clock’ too quickly, IMHO, so that all of your radicals and kanjis will get guru’d too quickly, causing you to advance ‘too quickly’ or at a ‘forced pace’ so to speak. Plus it leaves you with a huge pile of vocab at the end. :poop: Blech!
  • With the raw “Shuffled” setting, you’ll not only get your current level items mixed in, but also new items if you’ve just leveled up. This can potentially make completely finishing off earlier levels take longer, risking taking on too many new items before you’ve finished old ones, which I think is kind of antithetical to durtling the ‘scenic route’. What’s the rush? :blush: :beach_umbrella: :sunglasses:
  • With “Ascending level then shuffled”, it’s kind of like the best of both worlds.
    • Whenever you advance to a new level, it will automatically keep all your current-level lessons at the front of the queue, so that you don’t have to think about “Oh, I should finish my current level before moving on to the next level”, or having some plugin/addon to handle that for you. It’s built right into the site as is.
    • But also, since it shuffles the lessons for the current level, you’re just as likely to get your already-unlocked vocab lessons before new radicals and kanjis, so that you are steadily working away at the existing pile of vocabs during your progression (unlocking new items) on each level. That way, when you advance to a new level, you don’t have such a big pile of vocab waiting for you to finish off: You’ve already done most of them! Yay! :partying_face: The ‘pressure’ of a) having all your radicals and kanjis guru’ing too quickly :sweat: :sweat_drops: and b) having a big pile of vocab waiting for you at the end of each level :poop: :nauseated_face:, is gone! Instead you can celebrate your successful level :tada::balloon::partying_face: and move on smoothly to the next one at a gentle pace. :sun_with_face::rainbow::hibiscus::turtle:

Anyway, that’s how I’ve been using WK for a while now, and I really like it. Hope this info is helpful for some of y’all. Cheers! :turtle::smiley:

[Edited to replace mistaken references to ‘reviews’ with the correct ‘lessons’]

15 Likes