Leech Squashing

Wrote that back in early may (7th). Got a like on it just now, so read through it again.
Now, after restarting, when I got those again I haven’t failed them once, yay! Decided to go for mastework on 大作 (an official synonym) and so far I haven’t gotten enough confusable words =P

3 Likes

I did not realize that looking at the stats site and excluding whatever, was looking for leeches. I figured it was simply showing how ignorant I am. Glad to know I can change the wording now! ‘I’m not ignorant. Those are just leeches.’ :laughing:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhkNFx0xlA

I think I might finally be able to remember this. Literally came across this link, this a.m. from another topic on this site. :smile:

4 Likes

From the first three levels, mine are:

土 (kanji), and
土 (vocab)

牛, and

文 (kanji), and
文 (vocab)

Grr. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seeing them all listed together is actually a great help, maybe, I hope… Thanks for that!

@jprspereira Perfect! How perfect was that?! I was literally laughing out loud. My hubby thinks I’m crazy, bursting into sudden laughter. But hey, after 30 yrs of marriage if he doesn’t know that I’m crazy, then he hasn’t been paying attention. :laughing:

My leeches (Thanks to @StellaTerra for Leech Detector) - Seriously? How hard can these be?
元 - I have missed this 33 times!
不正 - 28
八日 - 26
年中 - 24
古い - 24
主人 - 23
主に - 22

The best part? It’s all reading, not meaning… sigh.

4 Likes

紡績 紡織, more specifically 績

I can never remember 績 means exploits.

竜巻 tornado
渦巻 whirlpool

For some reasons, I think 竜巻 means whirlpool.

i know, the moment i wrote them down i was able to memorize it much easier since i saw they where only two “ni chi”

Tatsumaki starts with a T. So does Tornado.

That’s what I used when I tended to write “Whirlwind” for 竜巻.

1 Like

Of course I just managed to put “fault” and not “arrow” when I got a chance to burn 矢. FML.

5 Likes

Add synonyms for kanji and vocab where it makes sense.

See Leech Squashing for help on “cow” and “noon”

Another late reply here, but… I looked up both words on a dictionary (In my case takoboto, which uses the same database as kanjidict I believe) and it basically said they’re synonyms. I proceeded to not worry about it much, since if there’s any difference it’s but a small nuance that’s not worth having a word stuck in Apprentice for ages.

理論 りろん ri-ron has vowels which match the first two vowels of “the-o-ry”

論理 ろんり ron-ri has vowels which match the two vowels of “lo-gic”

4 Likes

My biggest leech at the moment is the conjugations for Passive, Causative and Passive-Causative Forms. I just can’t seem to figure out a good way to study/remember them.

愛知県 あいちけん
愛媛県 えひめけん

If I am careful, I would still not make a mistake on this, though.

Most regrettable is I kept mistaking 渓流 reading. Yeah, it’s the yuu vs you.

I turned on vacation mode anyway because I have a mild concussion and new stuff not sticking was starting to enrage me, but ALSO I just pulled out a lot of adverbs and time or amount-related adjectives and stuck them in Anki recognition/recall cards in hiragana only. I find for some reason it’s way easier to remember what kanji words with seemingly unrelated kanji mean when I memorize them phonetically on their own then do the kanji later.

Here's the full list (sorry for romaji):
  • atode
  • subete
  • zenbu
  • sousou
  • imasugu
  • sassoku
  • chikajika
  • arakajime
  • mattaku
  • betsu
  • hayaku
  • igai
  • mazu
  • marugoto
  • saishu
  • saigo
  • zenkai
  • konomae
  • jikai
  • tarinai
  • mukou
  • tokuni
  • saikin
  • kinjitsu
  • mamonaku
  • kanarazu
  • karini
  • konkai
  • kondo
  • omowazu
  • imamade

A lot of them have the same/similar meanings too, which is driving me nuts :frowning:

1 Like

yes, I couldn’t agree more – in fact I think this sort of explains why when people come to WK already fluent or close to fluent in spoken Japanese, they seem so completely perplexed by the rest of our difficulty with leeches. When you learn kanji with WK’s method at the same time as you learn Japanese in general it creates these really weird confusions that don’t tend to happen when you just learn the spoken language phonetically first.

WK actually teaches you to vocabulary through their associations with the kanji. There are advantages to that, but the capacity for specific kinds of confusion is one big downside.

2 Likes

F*ck the two kanjis for “reason”! There is no reason about them at all!

1 Like

I am always compelled to answer

でんてつ for 伝達 (でんたつ) and
しゅうしん for 昇進 (しょうしん)

1 Like

I’ve recently been suffering a lotwith all the vocab ones with 日, since they are all asked around the same time I often vary a lot じつ, にち.

3 Likes