Learning meaning vs reading

I find it very easy to memorize the English meaning for the vocabulary, radicals, and kanji. What I find difficult is learning the reading, which I usually forget. I wonder if anyone else is having these problems? Is it jus natural to be very good at the meaning, but not so much for the reading? Is it because I’m just better at English than Japanese?

Edit: Does anyone else see my level as 01? On the app Tsurukame it says 02

I think that’s totally normal, particularly when you’re starting out. At the end of the day kanji are pictograms, they’re designed to help you remember meaning.the simpler ones in particular often look like what they are meant to represent (in a stylised way) .

I think it really just takes a lot of practice to associate a reading as well, which we as non native readers are not used to doing.

One good trick that you’ll start to see as you move on is some kanji share readings. You can sometimes spot these as the kanji contains another kanji within it, so in a way there are less readings that you need to individually remember.

3 Likes

The reading is always harder to memerise, I think that’s the case for everyone. I would recommend reading the mnemonics and imagining them vividly.

Your level displayed on the forum only changes after you re-log. If you haven’t logged in since levelling up your level displayed won’t change.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s normal, although recognizing the kanji meaning will become much more difficult as you progress through the levels and will learn many visually similar kanij.

As for your second question, I notice the Wanikani Community shows you always at the last level you completed and not the one you’re currently studying

2 Likes

It’s easier to infer the meaning from how a kanji looks than it is to infer the reading. At least until you get to the higher levels and semantic-phonetic composition starts to appear.

So, yeah, this is completely normal.

1 Like

Ah ok, does it happen around a certain time? And is there a way to almost speed it up? I’m guessing there isn’t…

Simply practice. Endure it now and it’ll get easier in the future. It also really helps to consume native content. Even if you can’t understand the words as you hear them when watching, for example, an anime, if the word comes up later in WaniKani the reading can just click (“ah! I’ve heard it before, so that’s what it meant” kind of feeling).

2 Likes

I also find when I forget a kanji while reading, 90% time it’s the reading, while the meaning comes pretty instinctively. A lot of listening also helps, since then you can associate the possible sounds to the “meaning sphere”.

3 Likes

I have 94.9% reading accuracy and 88.6% meaning accuracy on wkstats. I can’t believe I’m the only one.

3 Likes

Is that just for kanji, or for kanji and vocab combined?

1 Like

I think that’s probably pretty normal, because even in the case when you have forgotten both, you can often infer the reading from the radicals. Can’t check my own stats, since I don’t have a subscription anymore. I think while reading the things I forget the most are rarer kun-yomi verbs…

1 Like

It’s for kanji and vocab combined.
The difference is bigger with vocab.

1 Like

I recommend making your own mnemonic up if the one WK gives doesn’t do the trick. That can either be something that personally for you connects the meaning with the sound of the reading. Or something silly that you’ll remember. Whatever works for you! And then eventually you’ll find yourself recalling it without going through the tortuous mnemonic (a strange sensation). Just keep on keeping on! It’s by getting them wrong that you realise which ones are hardest for you and need special attention. (Everyone has ones that just won’t stick… the so-called Leeches. I understand even the level-60s do :slight_smile: ) You would not believe the number of times I had to guess at ‘to enter’ and got it wrong. Don’t sweat it too much (is my humble level 9 advice). And I agree with morteasd: press the button and listen to the reading.

1 Like

That’s because if you know the kanji readings you will most of the time also know the vocab reading (the majority of vocab items are just 2 kanji put together, using their on’yomi readings), while the meanings can be pretty out there. I also have lower accuracy for vocab meanings, although with a smaller difference.

2 Likes

Personally, it’s easier for me to learn readings than meanings. Readings often have patterns due to phonetic components, whereas meanings are more like pure memorization. I’m much better at pattern recognition than memorization.

7 Likes

That is normal at the beginning, but I would say by the time you are much higher, it flips as you begin to recognize phonetic components of Kanji.

3 Likes

There is a lag in the level displayed by the forums when you level up. The cure is to log out and log back in. Then the level will be updated.

1 Like

Personally reading gets better over time, while the meaning might get more vague down the line.

1 Like

Same. Often I can read a new word correctly by associating it with phonetic components despite never studying phonetic components.

And I don’t remember meanings of many kanji without context.

1 Like

Yes, 100% normal, this is one of the most difficult things about Japanese and one of the main things - besides kanji meanings - that WaniKani is designed to help you learn. In other words, it’s basically what you’re paying for. Welcome!

2 Likes