Kuso! - What NOT to say in Japanese - swearing, sex, and general rudness

While swear words and sex isn’t considered polite topics in most conversation, as an adult I DO want to know words that are off-limits. Not just so that I can avoid using them in conversation, but also to recognize them when someone else does.

If you know a Japanese swear word, slang, rude phrase, or a sexual term - that you should avoid in conversation - please post about it in this thread.

Let’s keep it civil okay! This is about what not to do! Learning by bad examples! :sweat_smile:

If you wanna mention some actual explicit word, sexual or other, you might wanna make use of the spoiler tags to let people filter the thread more easily.

お協力ありがとうございます! - Thank you for your cooperation! ^>^

3 Likes

in b4 topic locked.

3 Likes

Does that mean you can’t have that kind of discussion? I don’t really know the rules that well.

1 Like

https://community.wanikani.com/guidelines

Still seems like it’s open to interpretation to me. This wasn’t supposed to be explicit stuff as such. But, it can be good to know slang and stuff like that, because I do believe that knowing things is important, also the bad stuff. As an adult it’s a bit weird to not know these things and how to navigate them.

8 Likes

If this thread is a no-go I’ll do that, but that’s not a good way to learn slang or how to navigate it either when it’s brought up in conversation.

I mean, if someone insults you, how do you react? Do you even recognize you’ve been insulted?

1 Like

Honestly I think that if you rephrase the question it fits within the guidelines of the community. Its clearly for educational purposes and I believe that it is essential to at least understand words that are used that mmay be common but are innapropriate to use in conversation. (IE we learn ()ぬ but it is not great to say)
I’ll throw a softball to start.
I’m not sure if it’s everywhere in Japan but some people have told me that 外人(がいじん) is a little rude to say. I know it certainly has a negative connotation.
I think the preferred word is 外国人(がいこくじん) now.
Maybe its becoming similar to calling someone a “foreigner” as opposed to a “person from another country.”

6 Likes

yeah and watch a lot of shoun anime and dramas, partcularly crime/yakuza dramas, sexual dramas etc. Japanese media is nowhere as polite as you find it in real life interaction with Japanese people…

But then the few interactions I’ve had with Japanese people have ended up in talking about:

1. Talking about ecchi manga with a kid in his 20s
  2. Talking about nampa with an older lady
  3. And the last time I spoke to a Japanese person (older IT guy) he ended up talking about erections.
    All three cases we spoke in English tho since I’m nowhere near fluent enough to output.
3 Likes

Learning slang is also quite important if you want to understand a lot of Japanese manga/anime/dorama/movies/TV shows out there, because in some contexts those fictional or non-fictional characters do have to use slang. You can’t expect a Yakuza member or a samurai to always speak keigo.

11 Likes

You can tell which ones are really bad because she really struggles to say them…

27 Likes

Make japanese friends, they usually get a kick out of teaching you slang (at least in my personal experience as a dude making dude friends)

Otherwise youtube videos are good. There are some resources for this kind of thing (Making Out In Japanese is one semi-popular book I’m aware of) but tbh even just looking at japanese twitter posts and stuff will go a long way in understanding vulgarity / slang. Just my two cents

7 Likes

Japanese people are themselves 外人 when they are outside of Japan… Think about that lol

Really interesting to hear that.

I have a couple of words you should avoid regarding sexual identity, obviously okama, for a male homosexual, but also onabe (from pot), for a lesbian. As I understand these a pretty bad. I’m not sure if there are polite terms that gay people in Japan are okay with themselves. But, it would be great to know if there are.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy:
Yeah i mean if you look at it literally as “Outside Person” its kind of true. But it also brings up something else: What is inside???
If I am under a tent am I an outside person or an inside person?
How many walls must there be for me to be considered inside?
Perhaps brighter minds than me will one day discover these answers.

1 Like

wow interesting I have never heard of these. Honestly I’ve been avoiding learning most of these until I have a better grasp of regular vocabulary.

外人 usually means foreigner, not “outside person” (it can apparently mean person outside of the group, I just checked in Daijirin… never knew that). Hence when Japanese people, (or anyone for that matter who is in another nation that is not their own) are in a foreign country, they become 外人, or foreigner. :grin:

From Daijirin:
がい-じん グワイ― [0] 【外人】
(1)外国人。「―選手」「―墓地」
(2)内輪でない人。他人。外部の人。「―もなき所に兵具をととのへ/平家 1」

2 Likes

I’ve never heard okama used, either in real life or media…
Usually it’s just ゲイ (gay) itself. My friend got asked this in Tokyo I burst out laughing (since he’s not actually gay)

2 Likes

I think 外人 is a bit like calling someone an “outsider”, while 外国人 us more like “foreigner”? Calling foreigners “outsiders” is a bit rude, so I can understand why 外人 comes off as negative.

4 Likes

Let’s not restart this argument…

8 Likes

I think it depends on the connotation and where you’re from. In Canada I think it is pretty rude to call someone a foreigner. Similar to the direct translation of 外人(がいじん). It would be inferring that they are an outsider or that they don’t belong.
In essence, you’re right
but perceived meanings of words differ between people I guess.

1 Like