Kudasaru Itadaku and Giving and Receiving

Hello,
Even though I am N3 I still have trouble remembering the intricacies of keigo and giving/receiving.

してくれる、してあげる、してもらう turn into
してくださる and していただく.
くださる is basically くれる and it is humbling myself (the receiver) correct?
While いただく is raising the giver up.
Is there a difference between saying something like, “He taught me English” using either one? Besides the subject changing?

2 Likes

No, other way around. くださる elevates the giver. いだたく correlates to もらう, and humbles the receiver.

Yeah, a bit. It all comes down to uchi and soto - the in-group and the out-group. The use of くれる versus もらう (or くださる versus いただく) is mostly down to who in the situation in question you most empathise with. Using もらう, for example, when you are the giver (e.g. Bob received the thing from me) is such an unnatural phrasing in Japanese that it borders on being ungrammatical - you’re saying that you empathise with Bob more than you do with yourself.

6 Likes

To add on to what Belthazar said, because くれる (くださる) is an in group thing, it shows more of an appreciation in many contexts whereas もらう (いただく) is a little more on the objective side. 先生が教えてくれた is like the teacher taught/told me something (and for that I’m grateful). 先生に本をもらった is just a plain, I got a book from my teacher.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I always thought that since 下さる uses the down kanji it related to putting oneself down (humbling)? Well, I will try to rewire my brain on that one…

It does relate to “lowering” but the idea is that the giver is higher up so in order to give something they have to lower it to you.

5 Likes

Those are different constructions, though. The first is てくれる, where くれる functions as a helper verb, the second is plain もらう, where it functions as a full verb.
The analogous construction to 先生が教えてくれた would be 先生に教えてもらった, or if you want to be polite and formal, 先生に教えていただきました

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. Juat pointing out that くれる shows a kind of in group fondness or subjectivity whereas もらう does less so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.