Knowing how Wanikani works is making everything way more stressful now

In Japan they have loads of different citrus fruits, one of which is the mikan (it’s either a clementine or a tangerine or a mandarin but I can never tell the difference)

So just pretend you are the very hungry caterpillar and on the 3rd day you ate 3 mika_n_ (三日)

4 Likes

I’m jut starting out too and I get this all the time! I remember the entire mnemonic story except for the actual meaning. I get annoyed at my brain for storing 4 lines of story and failing to retrieve the only important word. I try to laugh about it now. I go back to the mnemonic and I either tweak it a bit or I savagely repeat the word I need louder or with a gesture. The level with “both” and “have” did that to me. I had a narwhal and a moon but also a head and a mountain. I can’t tell you how many times I got them wrong despite remembering the mnemonic. Could not remember either both or have and then went on to confuse them!

Anyhow, nothing to add here. Aren’t you feeling all better with all the lovely people from the WK community cheering you on? It made me happy to read their responses to you :heart:

5 Likes

I figured my knowledge of Korean is responsible for this reflex of my brain, because if I hear someone say mikka I can understand what they mean, it’s only when I suddenly come across it without any mental prep ;~;

1 Like

Mandarin.

Tangerine is ポンカン, clementine is クレメンタイン.

1 Like
  1. I would advice do what I do. Which is using a self help script to warm up before you hit you official reviews.
  2. make sure to read the mnemonics carefully with focus before you warm up, this cycle increased my accuracy.
1 Like

Getting a low accuracy in the beginning and after long breaks is completely normal. I’ve taken 2 almost year long breaks from wanikani to focus on school, and I would come back to 1000 review counts and only get 40% of them right lololol. From those experiences, I’ve learned not to take your accuracy or speed so seriously, and that it’s totally fine to just do ten to twenty reviews whenever you have a moment. In the future you may see high review counts, but those numbers do go down if you just keep at it on your own pace.

Also more importantly, SRS learning is a skill. The more you do it, the higher your accuracy will get. I get 95-100% review accuracy on my reviews now just doing them once per day, and I just came back to Wanikani two or three weeks ago. So don’t sweat it :). You’ll get better, and you’ll be able to read more before you know it. Also important. Try not to do lessons in bulk. You’ll retain them better if you ration them somehow. Personally, I stick to 10 lessons per session and I have no problem remembering them the next review.

Finally, since your new and just learning about scripts, I have a few I recommend :slight_smile:
Wanikani Open Framework by @rfindley: A framework upon which many other scripts are built. Necessary for some scripts to work. This guy’s created a bunch of super amazing scripts so be on the lookout for him.
Integrated Dashboard Overhaul by @BJennWare: This breaks down review and lessons counts into rad/kanji/vocab counts and shows when your next critical review is. The real piece de resistance is the critical review tracking because it highlights the date and time of the review that will put you closer to leveling up.
Advanced Context Sentences by @abdullahalt: You won’t be using this much right away, but it highlights your Guru’d kanji in the context sentences that comes with every vocab. Around level 8-10 or so, this’ll start being really handy! Also adds audio to the sentences lol.
Wanikani Stroke Order by @looki: This adds the stroke order to kanji and even shows up during reviews! I promise you that writing down the kanji will go a long way towards helping you remember them, even if you just write it in the air with your finger.
Review Countdown Timer by @GangsterOfBoats: This one is hit or miss, but it limits the amount of time you have to answer reviews. Not only can this make review sessions much shorter, but can help how fast you recognize the subject matter! Default is 10 seconds but you can adjust the time.
Ninja Lookup: This one is a chrome extension, not a script, but it’s extremely helpful. You simply highlight a word, right-click it, and select ninja lookup, and then a small window will open up with the first definition from jisho.org. The main benefit is that you can keep the window open while translating a context sentence. It isn’t always accurate though so beware.

Here’s a comprehensive list of scripts in case you want more.

2 Likes

Don’t stress don’t stress. I just do my reviews whenever and enjoy learning.
Why are you putting learning in such restrictive time restraints?

2 Likes

If it’s any consolation I’ve gotten things wrong on WaniKani 16,039 times and I feel like I’m doing pretty well and that my Japanese has come along quite a ways. Certainly way further along than when I’d only gotten 1,000 wrong, or 100.

I’ve had days when I woke up to 50 reviews and got 90% of them right. I’ve also had a time when I took several months off, came back to 3000 reviews and got 30% right for most of them. Either way you just do what you can, and if you know more Japanese today than you did yesterday - you’re going the right direction.

7 Likes

AHHHHHH hold up I remembered a thing someone said, “Fluency is a race to make the most mistakes”, here is the article. SO if you are it means you are improving, because you need to make mistakes before you can improve, good luck

10 Likes

Here’s a page full of the only wisdom you need to know about making mistakes, repeated over and over again:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/12/16/no-mistakes/

3 Likes

As the great Adam Savage once said: Failure is always an option.

3 Likes

You can do this!! I’m only 1 level ahead of you… I’ve noticed as the workload is now starting to pick up I’m less attached to getting everything right (similar to how you were when you started). It’s freeing up a lot of mental space for me. Once the workload picks up you won’t even have time to stress about making mistakes because you’ll still have 143 more questions in your cue… LOL.

All I’m saying is that, simply because of the huge workload, you will be forced back into that relaxed way of doing things… being able to say “oh well I got that one wrong AGAIN… moving on… yawn

It’s the same way that parents eventually relax about the tiny details once they have their second kid… There is just so much to do that they realize there energy and time is better invested into the big picture and not on whether or not their daughter eats her last 2 carrots at lunch.

DON’T GIVE UP :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That stroke order is funny because I actually do write the kanji in the air! I’m probably not doing it in the correct order or anything, but it gives me something to do with my hands while my brain is trying to remember the important shit.
I already have Open Framework and have downloaded quite a few scripts. I think I’ll try download the Ninja Lookup and Advanced Context Sentences though. Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

I trace the kanji on the pillow under the keyboard and I move my index up and down in the air to follow the pitch in the words on vocab. It’s nyaice to involve the whole brain when learning.
KittyPawsUp

5 Likes

Once summer hits (and I can go outside again) I’m going to grab some sparklers and write kanji in the air! That sounds like fun!

4 Likes

There’s no way to dm each other on this site, huh? If you have reddit, I’m on reddit with the same username. (I use the same username for literally everything)

1 Like

There has been a ton of great stuff here but I thought I’d throw this out:
It took me 157 days to do level 7 because I got so stressed with school that I would open wanikani, see the review count, and give up. I was going to stop but I ran into some Japanese in the wild (手, 上, hiragana, and a bunch of other kanji I didn’t know) and I realized I knew so much !more! than when I started. I worked myself back into it, not adding lessons just trying to learn anything and I don’t care how long it takes anymore because I’m still learning even if it’s not fast.

As for the accuracy, you may be interested in the video I liked below. It is pretty much saying if you can associate random info (like and unfamiliar kanji) with something you do know/have experienced, your brain will say ‘ohh this is important! Let me remember it’. Since I started closing my eyes in lessons and really visualizing the stories/creating my own if the provided one doesn’t work I’ve jumped from ~70% to 80-90% on my initial review after lessons so maybe it works ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I hope you find joy in the learning, if you can have fun learning then you will keep coming back and improving!

3 Likes

I LOVE that idea!

1 Like

Have you tried using the synonym option and adding the Hungarian word that you can remember? The advantage of the way you currently are doing it is the english reinforcement you get so I guess its based on your goals

3 Likes

I wish there was ;-;
and no I don’t have a reddit account unfortunately

1 Like