Keep forgetting 映る、映す、写る、写す

these kanji are driving me insane :sob:
I always tend to mix them up.
how do guys manage to remember them?

As far as transitivity goes, if a pair has one that ends with す, that one will be transitive.

6 Likes

Here’s a really helpful video on that subject.

4 Likes

映る and 映す use 映 from 映画, so it makes me think of an old school movie projector, where the reel is projected on the screen. I hear the clicking noise it makes as it starts up and spins. Thinking of a movie projector gets me to the word “projector” for the definition.

For 写す and 写る, it looks like the beggar is squatting on something, so I imagine him putting his bare ass on a copy machine and pressing the big green button to make a “copy.”

So that gives me the difference between 映 and 写. From there, as Leebo said, I’ve internalized the transitivity rules. Then unfortunately I don’t have a good one to get from “to copy” to “to be photographed,” that one just stuck naturally for me somehow.

I don’t actively use these to remember at this point, it’s just the imagery that pops into my head with these ones, but maybe it’ll help you!

3 Likes

Let’s not forget 移る and 移す!

But yeah I think keeping the compound words in mind helps, as @Adrian0121 said. Keeping in mind things like 映画 and 写真.

1 Like

the hell. I’m not able to understand her/it whatever o_O

This post (comment) should cover just about everything in the video, and hopefully make it all even clearer:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/9fkdkd/having_trouble_with_the_distinction_of_下がる_and_下げる/e5x90o0/

1 Like

Have you tried turning the captioning (CC) on? It might help.

Good idea XD i always forget about the cc feature of youtube. Will try this

thanks guys I think I got it now :grin::+1:t5:

very informative. it’s quite hard to follow because of her voice but I got the gist of it :blush:

your analogy helped alot. thanks for Sharon :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.