Kanji and vocabulary make no sense

Building off what Leebo said, there was a great explaination that i think made a lot of sense as a place to start from, i’ll just dig back and find it…
Okay i’ve found it:

There is a logic behind most of it, but it’s like in english words - it’s buried back in history and has changed with time, much like English, with it’s latin, greek, norman and germanic origins. You will become more used to it, and which reading applies when will become easier to guess, but ultimately it is a long process which will get easier with practice and exposure. Japanese is quite different from English, and indeed most languages, it has a very different way of communicating, and it’s normal for that to take some adjustign too. Keep pushing on, and the more you learn, keep finding small victories and looking at your goals for Japanese, find people to motivate you, and it will make it much easier.

I hope that helped, even a little bit : )

Also since it’s your first time posting:

\textcolor{MediumPurple}{\huge \textsf{Hi}} {\huge \textsf{@Giada92 }} \textcolor{MediumPurple}{\huge \textsf{!}}

tenor

It’s great to have you here!

If you haven’t already check out the Forum Guidelines and the Wanikani User Guide .
There’s also tonnes of things on the forums to help you on your way such as The guide, The Ultimate resource list, and API and Third Party Apps.

If you have any questions, check out this thread; but if this doesn’t answer your questions, feel free to create a thread like you’re done here, or email The Wanikani staff.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you around!

7 Likes