Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

I am also getting the 500 right now.

I get this message every time I load the site. I can still do review normally though.
http://imgur.com/2nCRqED

So in the spirit of adding more checks on data ingestion to prevent bugs, I introduced a bug. A fix was just pushed now.  Go ahead and give it a shot

I’m in now, looks wonderful. Thank you.

Tadgh11 said... So in the spirit of adding more checks on data ingestion to prevent bugs, I introduced a bug. A fix was just pushed now.  Go ahead and give it a shot
 Nice! That worked! Thanks a lot.

I’ve said it before, and I will say it again. I absolutely love this site.
I have gotten used to a bunch of scripts on wanikani so there are a few things that I miss when I use kaniwani.
So I’d like to put in a feature request.
I’ve thought about asking in the original thread of the script I’m looking for, but it appears that the dev is no longer maintaining it and it’s being maintained by Mempo (looks like he maintains a lot of abandoned scripts).
The script I’m looking for is called anki mode. 
It basically emulates anki, which allows you to press “space” to show the answer, and if you knew the answer you press “1”, and if you didn’t know the answer, you press"2".
This speeds up the review process a lot, and seeing as I now review on wanikani AND on kaniwani, it takes up a good chunk of my time.
I’m on 500+ reviews now on kaniwani, so this feature would be really nice. (I get if this is not planned, or possible, just thought I would try my luck)

Mempo’s updated version of the script can be found here:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/15950-wanikani-anki-mode

The original script can be found here:
/t/Userscript-Wanikani-Anki-Mode/8399
(outdated link, use Mempo’s link above)

Now I’m not all that tech savvy, so I’m not sure if it’s easier for you to implement a feature like this using the script’s code, or if it is easier for a dev of a script to add your website to the list of sites it runs on.
Anyway, please let me know your thoughts. (I might post a similar request in the other script thread if it turns out I should ask there instead :P)

Thanks again for the hard work!

Hi~ I had not tried KaniWani before. This post made me curious so I signed up and I absolutely love it! It is really useful. Thank you so much!~ 

Amenophyckxs said... I've said it before, and I will say it again. I absolutely love this site.
I have gotten used to a bunch of scripts on wanikani so there are a few things that I miss when I use kaniwani.
So I'd like to put in a feature request.
I've thought about asking in the original thread of the script I'm looking for, but it appears that the dev is no longer maintaining it and it's being maintained by Mempo (looks like he maintains a lot of abandoned scripts).
The script I'm looking for is called anki mode. 
It basically emulates anki, which allows you to press "space" to show the answer, and if you knew the answer you press "1", and if you didn't know the answer, you press"2".
This speeds up the review process a lot, and seeing as I now review on wanikani AND on kaniwani, it takes up a good chunk of my time.
I'm on 500+ reviews now on kaniwani, so this feature would be really nice. (I get if this is not planned, or possible, just thought I would try my luck)

Mempo's updated version of the script can be found here:

(outdated link, use Mempo's link above)

Now I'm not all that tech savvy, so I'm not sure if it's easier for you to implement a feature like this using the script's code, or if it is easier for a dev of a script to add your website to the list of sites it runs on.
Anyway, please let me know your thoughts. (I might post a similar request in the other script thread if it turns out I should ask there instead :P)

So basically a kind of speed mode, that ignores letter/character input and marks the questions as correct/incorrect based on pressing "1" or "2"?

It would be possible to implement and have a settings toggle - though I'd want to see multiple people interested in this first before goind ahead with it.

I'm a firm believer in entering the answer manually these days - I used to use Anki with 5000+ items active in rotation and found it too easy to forge ahead without properly taking time to consider each item. We've found that having to type in the answer really forces proper consideration and recall.
Subversity said...So basically a kind of speed mode, that ignores letter/character input and marks the questions as correct/incorrect based on pressing "1" or "2"?

It would be possible to implement and have a settings toggle - though I'd want to see multiple people interested in this first before goind ahead with it.

I'm a firm believer in entering the answer manually these days - I used to use Anki with 5000+ items active in rotation and found it too easy to forge ahead without properly taking time to consider each item. We've found that having to type in the answer really forces proper consideration and recall.
Exactly. Pressing a button like "space" first, though, to show the answer. (so you have time to think about it before revealing it)
Having a toggle would be great indeed. There are days I just want to speed up the review time if they have piled up from being busy IRL. It can be a bit demotivating coming back after several days and seeing tons of reviews, makes me postpone it more.
This would counter that.

I do agree that having to type forces you to think more about what it is you're submitting.
I guess it is similar to an ignore button, where you can "cheat" your way through, but that would only be hurting the learning process.
I'm serious about learning the language so I don't plan to just race through and tell myself "yes, yes, I know this, next!".

I hope more people are interested in a feature like this, and if so, see this implemented.

I still love the site and I will keep using it nonetheless, this would just enhance the experience for me personally.

Thanks a lot!

Any chance we’ll get something sort of like Wanikani Self-Study Plus for Kaniwani eventually (ability to add words that Wanikani doesn’t have)? I really enjoy the add-on for Wanikani but it pretty much only deals with recognition and not recall (which Kaniwani normally deals with) and I really don’t like Anki that much. Thanks for all of the work though, I’ve been steadily using Kaniwani to practice recall and the new update especially looks great since it is finally possible to deal with the really similar words.

Rablusep said... Any chance we'll get something sort of like Wanikani Self-Study Plus for Kaniwani eventually (ability to add words that Wanikani doesn't have)? I really enjoy the add-on for Wanikani but it pretty much only deals with recognition and not recall (which Kaniwani normally deals with) and I really don't like Anki that much. Thanks for all of the work though, I've been steadily using Kaniwani to practice recall and the new update especially looks great since it is finally possible to deal with the really similar words.
 Since you can import your own csv files with self study plus, can't you just import files that have the meaning/kanji reversed? (I don't use that script, not sure)
Amenophyckxs said...
Rablusep said... Any chance we'll get something sort of like Wanikani Self-Study Plus for Kaniwani eventually (ability to add words that Wanikani doesn't have)? I really enjoy the add-on for Wanikani but it pretty much only deals with recognition and not recall (which Kaniwani normally deals with) and I really don't like Anki that much. Thanks for all of the work though, I've been steadily using Kaniwani to practice recall and the new update especially looks great since it is finally possible to deal with the really similar words.
 Since you can import your own csv files with self study plus, can't you just import files that have the meaning/kanji reversed? (I don't use that script, not sure)
 Whoa, I hadn't thought of it like that. I just tested and sure enough, this works. I also checked the settings in Tampermonkey and it is possible to disable reverse questions (it normally has both Kanji->English and English->Kanji, disabling would normally give just Kanji->English but now it is possible to have just English->Kanji). It just requires a bit of backwards thinking when inputting words. Thanks, though, this is a solution and now my suggestion isn't really needed!

Glad I could help.
I should really start using that script as well tbh. It seemed a bit tricky when I first heard about it and didn’t really put any time into it.
I have it bookmarked and I’ll go over it soon, and then find some good lists to import… xD

Tadgh11 said...
jazzyy said... I get a Server Error (500) when I try to log into the server :( I tried clearing my cache and cookies as well.
Still occurring now? 
 Working now, thank you for the site and the updates!!!
We do have plans to allow users to add their own custom vocab items, extending beyond the WK set but that probably won't be in for at least a few months (other features to finish first/work/life).

Patch 1.3…I LOVE YOU!!!

Subversity said...
Amenophyckxs said... I've said it before, and I will say it again. I absolutely love this site.
So I'd like to put in a feature request.
I've thought about asking in the original thread of the script I'm looking for, but it appears that the dev is no longer maintaining it and it's being maintained by Mempo (looks like he maintains a lot of abandoned scripts).
The script I'm looking for is called anki mode. 
It basically emulates anki, which allows you to press "space" to show the answer, and if you knew the answer you press "1", and if you didn't know the answer, you press"2".
I'm on 500+ reviews now on kaniwani, so this feature would be really nice. (I get if this is not planned, or possible, just thought I would try my luck)

Mempo's updated version of the script can be found here:

(outdated link, use Mempo's link above)

Now I'm not all that tech savvy, so I'm not sure if it's easier for you to implement a feature like this using the script's code, or if it is easier for a dev of a script to add your website to the list of sites it runs on.

So basically a kind of speed mode, that ignores letter/character input and marks the questions as correct/incorrect based on pressing "1" or "2"?

Wrote this real quick for Amenophyckxs.

/t/Userscript-Kaniwani-Anki-Mode/12557/1

It just binds some hotkeys (SPACE, 1,2) but none of those are needed to answer in hiragana, so no harm ;p

So technically you don't have to consider implementing it any more. However, a native solution would of course be better and potentially reach a lot more people. But only do that if it aligns with KW's philosophy.

Mempo said... Wrote this real quick for Amenophyckxs.

/t/Userscript-Kaniwani-Anki-Mode/12557/1

It just binds some hotkeys (SPACE, 1,2) but none of those are needed to answer in hiragana, so no harm ;p

So technically you don't have to consider implementing it any more. However, a native solution would of course be better and potentially reach a lot more people. But only do that if it aligns with KW's philosophy.

For me *Blush*

Man, I can't thank you enough. 
If you use tantei to spy on my forum posts and find the ones about scripts,  I think you will find that you solved all my script issues/requests.

<3

Just started using it myself, and it’s phenomenal. Glad this exists

hey, KW has changed so much in aesthetics since the last time i used it!

It’s getting pretty hard to keep up when you have WK to do religiously. 
I’ve you’ve added review only burned items on WK. that’s pretty good, but given that it’ll probably take 6 months before burning, 
any chance considering adding more options like “review only enlightened items”  etc ?

(i’ve looked into this post, and couldn;t see any post of similar question apart from burned items. maybe i had a boy look, apologise if it did. it would be much easier if you can search words inside a specific forum topic, instead of the whole forum board…)