Kana-Only Vocabulary Additions

Speaking solely from a technical standpoint (since I like math for some reason), I don’t think the kana vocab will affect your end-date at all. Think of it this way: There are 33 weeks until the end of the year. If they publish 10 kana vocab per week, that’s a max of 330 items… actually, 320, because they’re spreading the first 10 across two weeks. So, suppose they dropped all 320 of those on the same day that you reach Level 60 (worst-case scenario). All 320 of those would be at Apprentice1, the same as your newly unlocked Level 60 items, so it would take the same amount of time to burn.

Now, looking at the ‘real-world’ scenario:
10 items per week, with only ‘meaning’ questions, and mostly vocab you know… that’s probably about 8 extra minutes of work for the whole week:

10 items per week * 4 reviews each (Apprentice 1-4) = 40 reviews
40 reviews * 10 seconds each = 400 seconds per week = 6.67 minutes per week.
Since Apprentice items are about 80% of average workload (that’s something I calculated a few years ago), that’s 6.67 / 0.8 = 8.34 minutes per week, including Guru-and-above.

Anyway, I just like crunching numbers. I may be missing a few things, but my guess is that it won’t seem like much of a change.

[edit: I didn’t include time for lessons. I have no idea how long people spend on lessons, but presumably it’s not much if you already know most of the words]

12 Likes

Surely there will be, which will only further perpetuate the not uncommon viewpoint that third party devs are doing WaniKani’s job for them free of charge

20 Likes

This is all true, though I don’t know if they’re really going to stick to just adding ten new words a week for the rest of the year if the eventual goal is to add thousands of words; it seems more likely to me that the number of new additions will go up significantly, though that could just be me catastrophizing.

Anyway, my issue is that I keep my apprentices under 100, so these new words are going to take up “slots” in my apprentice count that will prevent me from adding new kanji or kanji vocab until I’ve got them to guru. There is an easy solution, of course–I just won’t “count” the kana vocab in my apprentice count. It’s a minor annoyance, but at least with this initial batch it shouldn’t add too much time, as you’ve pointed out.

5 Likes

Just want to group these together because I think they do a great job of echoing the issues that have arisen in every single other official thread over the past few months - the fact that Wanikani is being held together by string and dreams right now (string and dreams which are provided free of charge by volunteer users working overtime), rather than pausing this new feature to try and fix some of those significant issues, you guys are choosing to continue rolling it out? Frankly, it’s a bit insulting. “Keep breaking it until we have to throw our hands up and abandon it”?

This is the same for me. Where I recommended WK to my classmates previously, I now hesitate to mention it. What will they find? A website that changes and breaks every few weeks? Why would I recommend them to use it?

Exactly. It is a good thing that Wanikani is not meant to be a rounded Japanese-learning experience. It’s a great place to learn kanji, and for that measure nearly all of us are taking multiple avenues to fill in the rest of the language blanks. This method works well and is specifically the reason why people who attempt to learn Japanese exclusively using Duolingo get the :grimacing: face from most of us. Language learning requires multiple resources. This is the one that teaches kanji (and well!) so just be the one that teaches kanji.

I haven’t used Genki I in many years - can anyone confirm which chapter you learn “これ, それ, あれ”? Is it chapter one? Or do you have to wait all the way until chapter two? These words should simply not be a concern for Wanikani to cover, point blank.

48 Likes

i see it on clothes sites like Uniqlo all the time. it’s an established word for dress :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was thinking this as well. Most of the words being added here are so basic that they’ll be taught early on in an introductory grammar book. For some words like これ・それ・あれ they are better learned in that context anyway. I sure hope WaniKani doesn’t make up some awful “story” for these words just to stick with their mnemonic approach when they are more suited for grammar explanations.

25 Likes

Definitely don’t want to mix it up with ドレス. :joy:

1 Like

Hmm? What’s wrong with ドレス? :thinking:

My understanding is that ドレス tends to be used for formal dresses in particular, like something worn at a wedding, whereas ワンピース can be used for everyday dresses. Google images makes the difference very clear, once you get past all the One Piece manga results (I searched ワンピース衣装 and かわいいワンピース to get around that issue).

8 Likes

Read what Japanese comfortably, exactly?

28 Likes

WaniKani doesn’t teach grammar. We have to go to other resources and words like これ, それ, あれ is what one learns very early on in grammar so most likely it will be more of a hindrance than learning cause we are already learning those terms through grammar resources outside of WaniKani.

To be honest it just sounds like they only want to cater to complete beginners (though they are going about it in a weird way.) They know the drop out rate is high so they just want beginners to come here and spend money before they drop out.

The reason they are giving ‘this is to help with Japanese fluency’ doesn’t hold up well as a justification for not doing a separate track or opt out. Not a good justification excuse at all.

13 Likes

I wish I was level 60 or close to level 60 as like you said this does feel all very forced. It feels like they are just thinking of people who are first trying out the website not the people who have been here for awhile. I hope third party apps that tsurukame just block the kana only vocabulary or have a separate section made for it so that way it’s not forced.

5 Likes

Exactly why there needs to be a separate track. The 60 number will then turn into hundreds then thousands of kana only vocabulary while I literally just came here for kanji and kanji only vocabulary. It honestly feels like it’s just going to get in the way and the excuse given for not doing a separate track makes no sense.

8 Likes

Likewise – after all, working through WK is expected to be a long, long time investment over the course of a few years. It relies on consistent study habits, and those rely on predictability from the site, which was formerly a strength. But given just the last few months, how could I recommend anyone new start a years-long program, when study features can be yanked on two weeks’ notice with no replacement in sight, API calls can be yanked on zero notice, and apparently now major unavoidable changes to the study process can be dropped in at any time? In the absence of any clear roadmap, how could anyone be confident the next short-notice-no-alternatives change wouldn’t interrupt their study?

34 Likes

Because only are 60 currently released. I know all 60 of those words quite well, but I suspect some of the “thousands” that are coming might be less familiar and worth learning.

And yes, for me personally, mousing to find a skip button (taking me out of my flow) would be worse than just typing the answer eight times over six months.

But that’s just my opinion. It’s okay to have a different one.

5 Likes

It wouldn’t hold up if the kana only vocabulary was ever an appreciable fraction of all vocabulary and always this familiar. I don’t expect that to be the case.

As I mentioned in my prior reply, I suspect that future kana only vocabulary will be less familiar to me than this batch, and stuff I want to learn.

(I’m relatively new here, but it seems like just yesterday everyone was bitching about the lack of kana-only vocabulary. WK can’t win.)

8 Likes

Is this the WK team’s new end goal? Can we get a roadmap please?

25 Likes

Yeah, I agree with the other folks here as someone who used to happily recommend WaniKani to people all the time, who now feels hesitant to do so. It was very helpful to getting me where I’m at today, but I think adding kana-only vocab as a mandatory part of the package is just going to dilute what’s so effective about WaniKani and make it an overall worse tool to learn kanji.

I think making this change is just going to make WK’s competitors, like jpdb, seem more appealing to people because they do the all-in-one tool thing more efficiently and in a way that is better tailored to an individual person’s interests. I like WK because it taught me how to learn kanji.

There are things that WK can do that jpdb (and other programs) can’t do as well, like teaching phonetic-semantic composition of kanji (assuming you have the keisei script installed, at least). This script is almost universally recommended here and is backed up by a lot of actual research, and dovetails quite nicely with WK’s established methodology. Why not work to incorporate that into WK instead? That would add a lot of value to the existing product and give people a reason to choose WK over other tools.

With that script, you are learning not only 2,000 kanji + 6,000 or so vocab, but you are also learning how to recognize the components that make up a vast number of other kanji, which you can carry with you once you leave WK and have to learn new kanji on your own. That’s what’s most important, I think. Giving users enough of a boost that they can go forth into the world and learn on their own.

As others have mentioned, fluency in reading what? Different mediums and different genres have different sets of most frequent words. The more you try to cover, the more words you’ll need to add, and the more bloated the program will get. It took me just over 2 years to reach level 60 with the current content. That is a pretty large clump of time!

I wouldn’t want to go any faster than I did because it was a lot of work every day as it is, and even so, I definitely started feeling the fatigue by the end of it. If you add thousands more words, that would extend the time it would have taken me by another year or two. Would I have made it to the finish line if I had to keep going like this for another year? I don’t know. Especially if by level 60, the kana words that are showing up are less and less frequent ones, which might not appear in the kind of media I read and watch.

Some people really like the idea of an all-in-one type of program, and I know that Kitsun has a pretty popular 10k deck, and programs like Torii exist to supplement WK’s vocab, so there clearly is interest in this sort of thing, but for many of us, we chose WK for learning kanji.

We have other methods for learning kana-only vocab which are better suited to our individual study plans, whether that’s learning that vocab through a specific textbook (which all teach things in a different order anyway), or learning it through immersion (which will also teach things in a different order than WK). WK’s implementation of teaching kana-only vocab directly clashes with both of those other methods.

If you make kana-only vocab opt-out, I’ll probably still recommend WK, but if it’s mandatory, I don’t know. I might recommend people give jpdb a try instead because I know that many people have used it successfully, whereas my own path through WK, which was successful, is no longer even an option anymore. How can I recommend a tool if all of my advice for getting through it no longer applies?

I dunno. I was going to leave a pretty glowing recommendation for WK in my level 60 post, but this recent update has got me unsure if the product going forward is even the same product I used to get here, and so I don’t know if I can recommend it anymore, because this is unknown territory, and everything I had to say about it doesn’t apply in the same way that it once did.

37 Likes

For everyone wanting this feature be opt-out, your chance to let the WaniKani devs know is NOW. Make forum posts, like other comments, etc.

Personally not in this group, but don’t let this be another summary page situation.

8 Likes

Consider adding (a kind of) “I know this” button

I know you guys have strong opinions on what should be part of WK and what shouldn’t. You’ve recently expanded your system that is a very limited version of undo or more specifically ops-you-answered-another-question-than-the-one-we-asked (which to be fair is a pretty cool system, but…). It is clear you aren’t planing to add undo. While I think it is a mistake, and there are plenty of good arguments for why (dyslexia, non-native speakers of English, the myriad of synonyms English has for basically every word, and more), I can accept that this is an area we have to agree to disagree.

But I think it might be important, as you enlarge the scope of WK, to ask yourself if all your previous policies still apply. And in this specific case, I’m talking about adding an “I already know this” option, at least for kana-only vocabulary.

I get (and even to a degree support) not having it for the kanji vocabulary. Since kanji vocabulary both reinforces and teaches new readings for the kanji.

But kana-only vocabulary is different. It doesn’t build on anything.

If you’re opposed to letting customers decide whether they know something or not (afraid perhaps that they will abuse it and then complain they learned nothing or similar), just make the “I know button” push an item to mastered or enlightened, and let the last 1-2 review stages prove or disprove their knowledge. If the “I know” button moves the word to enlightened, they won’t see it for four months. And if they can answer it correctly after four months without any reviews, then I think that proves very well they knew the word and burning the word seems appropriate.

(This could in a lesser capacity be implemented for kanji vocabulary, maybe pushing an item into guru 1 or 2 (or apprentice 4), so that if someone already knows the word, they won’t have to review it many times over a few days, but they will still get the benefit of reinforcement and learning new readings.)

Summery page

And just for the record. I never used the summery pages as much as some people. But I did check over my mistakes, and sometimes when I had similar kanji, I’d use it to compare them again to really nail down the difference (and no, all the kanji I think look similar are not in each other’s similar looking kanji, and sometimes they probably shouldn’t be because I just imagined they were similar but when I looked they were nothing alike :woman_facepalming:; and sometimes I’m noticing it while looking at vocabulary, and then it is suddenly a lot of clicks or searches I have to do to find the right kanji to see if they were in each other’s similar kanji row… (unless the summery page was back, because then I could compare them right there).

So I’m very much in favor of the summery page (after reviews/lessons) coming back for that quick overview of what items I saw in a review session and whether I answered them correctly or not.

Another reason to return it is that even a couple of months in, it still feels jarring to be unceremoniously dumped back at the dashboard the second I commit the correct answer to the last review.

32 Likes