June 12 2020 Content Updates

Kanji

木 (2) - updated reading mnemonic

Vocab

有罪 (20) - added “guilt” to meanings, added “culpable” and “culpability” to whitelist, and updated meaning explanation

犯す (20) - moved “to perpetrate” to whitelist, added “to commit” and “to violate” to whitelist, adn updated meaning explanation

告白 (18) - updated meaning explanation

作品 (16) - added “product” to blacklist

反省 (21) - added “reconciliation” to blacklist

見える (4) - added “to see” to blacklist

替わる (25) - added “to replace” to blacklist

正確 (20) - added “correct” to whitelist

夫妻 (20) - added “married couple” and “Mr. and Mrs.” to meanings and updated meaning explanation

余る (20) - added “to be left over” to whitelist, moved “to exceed” and “to surplus” to whitelist, and updated meaning explanation

不思議 (20) - added “marvelous” to meanings, moved “marvel” to whitelist, added “mysterious,” “wonderful,” and "strange to whitelist, and updated meaning explanation

収める (25) - moved “to come into power” and “to dedicate” to whitelist, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences

殺人 (13) - added “murderer” to blacklist

南東 (6) - added “northeast” to blacklist

黒 (7) - added “bad” to blacklist

翻る (50) - added “to fly” to blacklist

賢人 (48) - added “sage” as primary meaning and “wise person” as secondary meaning, moved “wise man” to whitelist, and updated meaning explanation

訴える (25) - added “to cut” to blacklist

残る (14) - added “to leave behind” to blacklist

21 Likes

Thank you, Jenny

7 Likes

My pleasure Kumirei! Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is this the proper place to ask questions about content updates? If so, can you explain this change? jisho includes your blacklisted word here and here
Thanks for your hard work.

You had me worried there for a moment… correction: Level 50.

2 Likes

Ooops! Fixed, thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Hi tip! Thanks for the question (here is fine but we may miss questions sometimes - the safest way is always email!) These changes were both based on requests from learners, who were mixing up 替える/替わる and 翻る/翔ける. It’s true that both of those are valid translations, though, so we’ll think about this one some more :thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Jenny, this is mostly whining, but could you start adding embedded links to the list so that we can go straight to the item from your list?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi atomicalex, yes we can start doing that from this week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I really do appreciate the work you all put into this. I just read the instructions to a part in Japanese without looking for the English. That is a big deal for me and thank you to WaniKani for making it possible!

That’s fantastic! We always love hearing stories like this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good move, “to exceed” was not exactly the same as in “to be in excess”. Will “to exceed” be deleted from whitelist after some time?
Cordially,

Good question! 余る is intransitive, whereas “to exceed” is transitive, at least in its most common uses, making this translation a bit misleading. That’s why we no longer wanted it to be visible, and it’s also a good argument for eventually removing it for the whitelist :thinking: