July 2 2021 Content Updates

Thanks Jenny! :high_touch:

2 Likes

Thanks, this is fixed now!

2 Likes

Man, every time I see this game, I think about how good of a title it is with the duality of 狼 / 大神 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also thanks Jenny and the rest of the WK team, of course!

2 Likes

@TofuguJenny

Does 狼男 accept “wolfman”?
(it’s not listed, so I was too scared to try and added it as a synonym first - but if it’s not accepted, by the word’s own explanation, it ought to be)

2 Likes

You can of course always add it as a synonym yourself.
I haven’t seen “wolfman” used anywhere as far as i remember. Apparently there’s a 1941 US horror film “The Wolf Man”. I’d just expect this in some fantasy settings like this as a fancy/alternate way to say werewolf, perhaps as a part of world building to distinguish it from common notions of a werewolf.

(similar to how many recent zombie stories replace the word zombie with words like “infected”, “biters”, or “walkers” in The Walking Dead)

1 Like

I did add it as a synonym, but I’d say it’s fairly well established as a term.

The movie in question informs a lot of how werewolves are perceived in (at least American) pop culture, the same way Bela Lugosi’s Dracula from the same company is inseparable from the idea of Dracula at this point (albeit probably not to to quite the same degree).
I’d call the zombie synonyms you mentioned franchise-specific euphemisms, but I think of “wolfman” or “wolf man” as just a clear-cut synonym for werewolf. It does seem most often used in contexts directly referencing the Universal version of a werewolf (like in Monster Squad), but it seems like there’s other usages too…

Plus, clearly the derviation matches the kanji directly, and Wanikani’s own explanation is “what’s another word for a wolf man? A werewolf of course!” so “wolf man” wants to pop in my head immediately seeing the kanji, and I imagine that may be true for other folks as well, which makes it more of a potential priority to add than say, “lycanthrope.”

Very low-impact point though of course! :slightly_smiling_face: And I could totally be overestimating how widespread it is outside of the context of that one movie.

Come to think of it, I think I’ve got specifically Kingdom of Loathing to blame, since I played that as a kid before I actually understood any of its references.
(it goes on to call it “the Wolfman” and reference Monster Squad)
So in retrospect maybe I agree and it’s not quite as clear cut of a “should be in there” synonym as I thought.

2 Likes

Added “wolfman” to the allow list just in case :wink:

3 Likes

Obrigathanks, Jenny!

3 Likes

Thanks Jenny! :sweat_smile:

1 Like