JLPT 2024!

Yikes, yeah it really sounds like he should have been thrown out

7 Likes

Good luck, I did N5 last year and N4 this year, I don’t find them that much different…
Sorry about the listening incident, that’s pretty bad, in my room someone actually left after part two without saying anything…

5 Likes

Thanks for the answer ! My point was, why should one take a test below N2 then ? Just for the testosterone you get if you pass it ?

2 Likes

For now I’m just doing Wanikani and watching anime lol, didn’t know about Bunpro. From the name I gather that it’s to learn grammar ? How does it work and would you recommend it ?

2 Likes

Well, indeed a lot of people don’t take the tests below N2 - I only took the old JLPT2 and then N1. I think the tests are popular with self study Japanese learners because they’re one of the few concrete objective measures of learning progress (though they certainly have severe flaws as a measure, starting with having no speaking or writing components). The organisers did a survey of why people take the test, and about a third of overseas test takers said they were doing it to measure their own proficiency level:

index_graph03_2018

I would expect that most of the “practical reasons” crowd are concentrated in the higher levels.

6 Likes

Wanikani and Anime won’t be enough even for N5 and N4. You need to do some grammar as well!
Bunpro is a grammar SRS and essential for me to understand Japanese. Whenever I listen to Anime or Japanese these days I am surprised by how much more I understand everything just by grammar alone. You might know some vocab but so much changes if you add past forms, past negative forms, teiru forms, and polite negative past forms (lol).

It’s easy to understand Japanese if present base forms are used and just some basic particles. There is sooo much more to it though.

It does not have to be Bunpro but you should certainly start learning grammar rather sooner than later.

4 Likes

Besides being a good measurement of progress made in learning Japanese it is also a nice goal you can work towards. With self-study you kinda don’t have any deadlines, and you don’t answer to anybody but yourself but if you have a JLPT exam in December with hotel reservations and a booked flight it changes everything.

I could take the JLPT in my city but I am not going to. I will do my N3 in another city, N2 in another country, and the N1 in Japan, as a reward for all the hard work.

For the writing part, I intend to do the kanken :smiley:

Speaking Japanese I will hold off as long as possible. I want to get as good an understanding of Japanese as I can get to be able to properly correct myself when trying to do so.

5 Likes

For a lot of people, it’s helpful to have assessment tied to a timeline. The JLPT offers a natural deadline as you can only take it in December or July. While it’s not common for learners to take and pass every test in chronological order (say starting 2021 Jul N5, Dec N4, 2022 Jul N3, Dec N2, 2023 Jul N1), it can still be helpful to have that kind of structure.

Personally I don’t think N5 is worth the money investment, but some people like that step to show they’re on the right path.

7 Likes

As others have said, they can be a good motivator as well as evidence to oneself of some level of confidence.

I did N4 but then skipped to N1 (planned to take N2 in 2020, however).

Having N4 also helped me skip some of the lower level Japanese classes at the university I was attending at the time. Oh, and it gave a concrete goal for the tutoring I was getting at the time.

As someone who passed N4 after a year of learning I do somewhat question the value of N5 in particular in a lot of circumstances (although I’m sure it can still have value as a motivator).

Sometimes I wish there were an N0 as something more to aim for. That said, speaking is the skill I need to improve the most…

5 Likes

Anime? With Japanese subtitles watching anime is enough to get you to N1. Especially if you use some of the mining tools out there to make flashcards. All the knowledge you need to pass is present, its just a matter of how long it takes you to learn it.

Really only if you want to for the most part. Most people just do it because they want to for some reason and a minority probably need it for some university related thing. Even most people who take N1 probably don’t need it necessarily (based off sampling of people around me), but there are a lot more doors that it can open up compared to N3 per se.

Personally I never really got the whole idea of “milestones” with the jlpt. I started learning this language to read books, so the only “milestone” that mattered to me was how good i was at that. There’s really no right answer other than the one you decide for yourself. My advice to all japanese learners is that if you’re going to study for the JLPT and make it a language learning goal, do it because it actually matters to you. Don’t get swept up in the JLPT study, soumatome or whatever grammar text books, and mock test questions just because you see other learners doing it. All of that is optional.

6 Likes

For me it was this.

I’ve taken and passed the N5 and N3 (and now taken the N2… probably didn’t pass though lol). The first two were just for funsies, but I definitely think it helped me with how doing the test would feel. Even the first time doing the N2 I wasn’t nervous or anything like that since I’ve done it twice before already.

3 Likes

For me it was a mix of wanting a confidence boost and wanting something to prove progress. I’ve been studying the basics on and off for 10 years. Getting this means I can tell myself I’m ready to learn above the basics and I can tell others that I have learned enough for a qualification.

6 Likes

Ah well, you just made more out of it than just watching Anime. Sure if you start mining and anki you will progress. I doubt most people are doing that when they say they are “watching” anime.

3 Likes

Ya, the JLPT was a goal for me at first, and then the further I got into learning the language, the more I realized how much I sucked at speaking and listening, and completely ditched learning words and grammar once I got to N3 to focus on those two things. While my vocab sucks, I’ve gotten to the point to where I don’t have a translation layer in my head. I just… speak… Japanese. I often find myself thinking in Japanese, and occasionally can’t remember English words and have to look them up using the Japanese word. It’s cursed. Bye-lingual is definitely a thing. lol

That being said, I’ve realized exactly how far you can get with conversational Japanese if you are snappy with your listening and responses. People greatly overestimate my Japanese ability at first just because I can have real time conversations with them, but eventually realize that instead of saying something like “doorknob”, I’m saying “the thing on the door that you turn to open it”. lol. So I’m back here on WK to try to fix that once and for all. Again… again…

8 Likes

It’s been more than a week and I still have not received any notification about my application.

1 Like

It’s a good practice in any case, and I find it quite rewarding, also it motivated me to do thorough grammar reviews before.

1 Like

It’s very hard to estimate but in general I would say you need to put many hours of regular work, there is just no way around it, there are great tools available that help you to learn faster, but this language just needs systematic effort. So yes, TIME and motivation/dedication is key.

1 Like

Same, but I wouldn’t worry, because most countries’ application process only opens in August/September. The JLPT website also mentions this:

My theory is that your and my testing centres (I’m applying for Düsseldorf) are collecting the applications earlier but they will be processed later together with everyone else.

I recently started tracking my time because of the previous discussions we had here. And even though I spend around 2h hours per day on Wanikani + Bunpro I can see that I have to up my time on immersion with reading and listening more. I guess I probably need to double the time spent on actual learning.

3 Likes

Have you taken a practice test yet? I wouldn’t obsess too much about the number of hours, they can be highly inaccurate depending on your circumstances (like talent and efficiency).

2 Likes