JLPT 2022 thread(Results out now!)

Europe seems way better with quite a few choices and summer session option. Not sure if the are limiting seatings as well.

I did send an email to the host site, in case vacancies open which doesn’t hurt to try. Though an applicant would have actively cancel and there is probably little incentive given registration fees are not refundable.

I also just noticed the section breakdown between cities are completely different between levels, something to keep in mind for anyone else registering.

https://www.aatj.org/resources/jlpt/2022JLPTRulesAndPolicies.pdf

3 Likes

who here is applying for the test in London for december this year?

3 Likes

me, but it’s my first one so i’m still new to the application process and stuff :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Registered for N4 in Chicago! Excitement intensifies

7 Likes

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I also just registered for N4 in Chicago.

Glad they worked out a staggered registration system this year. I wanted to take it last year, but the spots were gone in an instant.

6 Likes

Which level are you taking?

1 Like

N4, hopefully. you?

1 Like

Hoping to take the test for the first time in Edinburgh (they’ve confirmed it’s happening but haven’t confirmed registration dates yet). Trying to decide between N5 and N4 so would welcome everyone’s advice. These are the main points I’m considering but the last point really sums it up:

• My kanji/vocab knowledge is solid for both levels - having mostly hiragana in N5 means I may be slower in reading or make silly mistakes compared to N4 as I’m less familiar with sentences entirely in kana.
  • Grammar is another thing I’m happy in knowing/learning - I know I need to fill some gaps with Genki but it’s definitely achievable over a few weekends.
  • Listening is where I know I’m considerably weakest, even more so in the test samples than slower conversation. For those that have done both N5 and N4, how did you find the step-up in level? Any recommendations on what could help for N4?
  • FOMO. The infrequency of the tests, cancellation of this summer’s tests, and a study hiatus partially due to that cancellation and a new job (so I’m unsure about my true ability) mean that I don’t want to sit N5 and regret not doing N4 if I do really well. Equally, I don’t want to fail N4 when N5 is very doable and then I’d have something to show for my learning so far (even if there’s no bragging rights with N5).

What would you do? Very interested to hear people’s opinions (or advice/tips!)
ありがとうございます!

6 Likes

@thedavidcameron

I imagine you’re already familiar with the sample questions, but have you also tried the full-length practice tests?

You can download all test files, including the audio files for the listening section, the answer sheet, plus the answer key and the listening script so you can check your results in the end. If you follow the appropriate test times, this will give you an experience that’s almost identical to the actual test.

“Been there, done that.” Before registration, I did the sample questions for both N4 and N5, and was undecided. Then I took the full-length practice test for N4, and that helped me see the difference between the two levels. N4 seemed doable, but felt too risky, and at that time I wasn’t willing to take the risk. So I signed up for N5, and close to the test date I took the N5 practice test. Both tests felt very similar, and in the end I passed with similar scores.

That was in 2019 and looking back on it, I think I did what was right for me, at that time. This year I signed up for N3 after taking a practice test, despite noticing some weak spots in grammar and reading, because this time I’m more willing to take the risk.

To sum up, my advice is to try the full-length practice tests and to reflect on your current willingness to take risks before deciding which level to take.

7 Likes

Personally, more so than where I’m actually at, what was important to me was what I wanted out of the test. Are you taking it…
… so you can have the certificate? (As validation for the effort you’ve put in, work reasons, …)
… to test your abilities?
… to give yourself some extra motivation to study?

I didn’t take any practice tests before signing up, so purely based on my incredibly accurate self assessment, but I’m very confident I’d be able to pass the N3 and almost as confident I won’t be able to pass the N2. I signed up for the N2 because having the certificate really doesn’t matter to me, I’m getting some tiny amount of motivation from it and there’s a couple of people taking it with me. It does cause me some discomfort to take a test I don’t think I’m going to pass, but at this point stressing out over exams is part of my identity :')
(But also would probably be smart to take a practice test either way)

5 Likes

If you do some, not one, you might pass because of it.
Japanese tests are really testing to a high percentage if you went through previous exams and practice tests. :grin:

Always.

2 Likes

I only did one (well, 2/3rds of one) and I didn’t really feel I got much out of it. What sort of advantages are you able to get by doing multiple? Do they all have something in common?

1 Like

I have gone through them. I think the biggest advantage they give you is more structured expectations of the exam itself. Knowing the format and knowing the methodology behind their question probably helps select the answer that best matches what they are looking for, even if the question or provided answers are ambiguous. My understanding is that at the lower levels, the incorrect answers are much more clearly eliminated, but at higher level tests the wording of the question must be taken more literally, with a problem-solving (riddle-solving?) mindset.

3 Likes

Mhh, yeah, am still deliberating if I actually want to study specifically towards the exam. Hopefully I’ll at least manage to do some practice tests :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Hmm. If you’re worried that prepping for the exam with mock tests will unfairly benefit your score, you could always just get the 新にほんご500問 book for the level you’re at. My advice on how to use if you’re worried about gaming the test score is to just skim through it and accustom yourself to the question format. Obviously if you study the entire thing, you’d encounter problems similar enough on the real test that you’d be able to guess without actually knowing, but for just skimming it is great for testing practical use of what you already know.

Also, the JLPT isn’t really testing your comprehension of Japanese much of the time, but your ability to understand a specific type of Japanese in a specific format. You usually aren’t given winding sentences played over a 1995 Yamaha CD boombox with people making just enough ambient noise to prevent you from fully hearing it, and then quizzed on the specifics of it after the fact IRL AFAIK :smiley: So IMO, it’s ok to put in some practice on the listening part, since it’s the most unrealistic part of the process.

6 Likes

I’m not worried about passing only because I prepared a bunch for the test, it’s just that I’d rather continue studying the way I am now.
I think in the end I care more about getting better at reading novels than passing the N2 :thinking:
I’ll get there eventually anyways :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

N3 hopefully I wasn’t sure but I want to try…

2 Likes

Makes sense.

Yeah the wordings were very literal. Often times, there were answers that seemed like the logical conclusion to make from what the author was saying, but they weren’t interested in the logical conclusion. They were just interested in what the author was literally saying it seemed.

In that sense I feel like it was the opposite of a riddle. It was so straight forward that it seemed like you shouldn’t think too much about it.

3 Likes

i was debating between N4 and N3 too (if i’m reading you correctly). what nudged me towards N4 is mainly that i know i would fail N3 if i took it right now (and i don’t really wanna stress myself out more than necessary by cramming), so if i’m gonna be there purely for experience i might as well take an easier one. but, if i don’t get into this one, i’ll take the N3 in july, if that makes sense

hopefully it goes okay for you! then you can say that you tried, and also that you’ll have a better idea of what you need to work on for next time, right?

if i’m reading you correctly and haven’t built a mountain out of a molehill

6 Likes

That’s not exactly what your email says :sweat_smile: I’m expecting it to be 10 am Japan time (just like in previous years) i.e. 3 am European time - let’s see who can stay awake until then :wink:

7 Likes