Japanese Speedrun for Travel! Elfkan's Study Log

Been quite busy due to school, but have had some time to clear the reviews. Level 6 should be in two days! Major things to remember are 先 with the alternate pronounciation of さき and 角 with かく which is directly related to 学 with pronounciation がく for my own sanity.

1 Like

Cleared reviews for today! Level 6 soon, woo! One vocab that keeps jumpscaring me is 入る (はいる) as it is completely unique. I get it a few times and it doesn’t seem to make it past guru to master. Also I have 200+ master items now!

1 Like

Congrats!! You’re speeding along quite nicely :partying_face: :tada:

How do you feel about your trip readiness level this week? Is there anything you’re extra focused on improving?

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

I feel like I should be improving more on speaking which I will get to after I learn more grammar I feel. Basic reading should come naturally as I go through that process. I think I will be using one of the language exchange apps to practice. I’m a bit embarrased to ask my online Japanese friends as they basically purely use english and are busy.

1 Like

As promised!
先ず always jumpscares me in meaning as it sounds like “this (masculine)” in ancient hebrew and arabic(?). First thing that always comes to mind is ‘maze hamor’ lol. Very hard to connect it to the japanese meaning “first of all”. But as a write this it will be better.
分かる also throwing me off slightly but should be easier to fully grasp わかる
Also custom mmemonic tip time!
国 already uses coke, but you can attach the fact that mexico is addicted to coke to make it stick instantly.
I have already loaded all the radicals and kanji, will go through the vocabulary in bite sized pieces per day!

2 Likes

cleared reviews and working in the vocabulary dough Most new items at level 3/5! Doing wanikani with my parents has unlocked a lot of speculative chinese and japanese etymology lore. Pretty insane.
Cool lore
The 何 that we know and love has the same meaning in old Chinese in the major dialects. Isn’t used anymore. Nowadays it is replaced with 那 (funnily enough this sounds closer in cantonese to the japanese 何 than 何 does) for written and mandarin I believe? In cantonese it gets more crazy as the spoken equivalent doesn’t have a written form but borrows the same sound w/tone as 边 (normally means edge as in the edge of the street, etc.). So 边日 is the spoken equivalent to 何日 in Japanese.
Also got to learn about a lot of the vocab phrases that are slightly different in cantonese that simply use an odd combination of kanji in the cantonese perspective. Usually one of the kanji can have the meaning but isn’t combined in the specific vocab context. :smiley:

3 Likes

Cleared reviews today, all items at 4/5. Should be halfway there in 2 days then!
Helpful mmemonic of the day
両 is much easier to not see as the radical groups but as a rowboat. This fits in with the meaning as you need to hold both paddles on a traditional rowboat to row the boat. It also looks like one.

1 Like

Sorry for being silent, have been reviewing every day however, and restarted bunpro campaign of the byzantine empire!
started to 4/5 the second half items so hopefully to level 7 by friday or saturday. Things are going well!

Hopefully level 7 by tomorrow! 35/38 kanji today and messed one up so yikes, forgot that 画 was が and not だ. also 安い needs proper association with being relaxed = cheap in this case!

1 Like

Level 7 reached! On a trip so a bit janky but happy about it! Looking after many kids is exhausting.
Will get to the new radicals and kanji!

2 Likes

wanikani refuses to acknowledge my level 7 status at least for now on the forum :cry:
Review went very well right now but had to mess up a lot of kanji on the first review early this morning. I had to redo the mmemonics completely for a lot as those didn’t stick and connect with the shape very well imo. for example 札 is now ingrained as a billhook(cool weapon) pulling off a mounted tree and as the tree knight gets pulled off obviously they have to leave their saddle. May not work for everyone but worked much better for me and combined everything.
Another one is 末 where I imagine a funny japanese prototype jet that somehow has extendable tatami mat canards for landing, which sticks because it is silly especially as canards don’t do that. But again fits shape, definition, and reading all at once.

The forum would usually be 1 level below your current level.

2 Likes

If you log out and then log in again, it should show the level you’re currently at.

4 Likes

Btw, interesting to see that I’m not the only Japanese speedrunner. Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

heyo everyone! Not dead, have been reviewing and learning everyday, just had to deal with some injuries in the family and festivities. Tomorrow I should be level 8! 何月 always throws me a curveball as it’s the only extra one right now that uses がつ

2 Likes

Tada! As promised!
Pretty exciting to start to get some enlightened items! Again mixed in the required level content!

1 Like

Today’s review went well. One thing that I haven’t been able to put my fingers on precisely is the rendaku rule. Does anyone have a good feel of what gets rendakud?

Unfortunately, there are no rules that apply in every case, but there are rules that work in many cases and make the number of exceptions you have to learn a lot smaller. Here is a good article about Rendaku by Tofugu:

I’m not sure if you’re ok with using userscripts, but if you are, I highly recommend this script as well: [Userscript] WaniKani Rendaku Information

1 Like

Finished review and some lesson today, went pretty well!
Some grievances to remember. 行う is おこなう which has tripped me up because I think of oku first, but putting it here will help me. 近年 and 近日 confuse me as it is somehow both recent years and soon. Two different times. One last one is 出来る. Need to connect this with being able to do something.

1 Like

Been very busy, so not really able to post much. but…

Tada! new level! An old one 日の出 tripped me up as it seems like sunset, but actually it’s sunrise. So need to remember that. 先ず also haunts me once again as I keep forgetting it is first of all. otherwise, not much of major concern and am excited to continue!

2 Likes